Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ramship CSS "Manassas"  (Read 429 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Ramship CSS "Manassas"
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:45:38 AM »
Today I made a trip with my "Manassas" of Confederate Navy. The original was built 1861. It originate from a former tugboat and icebreaker. The complete superstructure  was removed and a very strong convex deck of 1 foot strong oak planks was built. The complete deck got an additional protection of 1,5 inch iron sheets.

The original "Manassass" wasn`t very succesful, after the second operation she got damaged and were sank by her commander Warley at Boothville, Louisiana, lower Mississippi. Because of the big iron masses the wrack today can be easlily located. Model is in scale 1 : 32, steam driven, displacement 19 kg, lenght 135 cm.

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: Ramship CSS "Manassas"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 08:05:15 AM »
"Manassass" got a big flametub boiler of 120 mm diameter by 320 mm lenght. Capacity is nearly 3 litres. Propulsion by a Regner Junior engine, bore 12 mm by 16 mm stroke, working on two screws. With this water capacity one can drive nearly 2 hours uninterrupted.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:07:10 AM »
 :bravo :bravo :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :bravo :bravo

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 11:24:18 AM »
Thanks Thomas......I was wondering  :whistle what steam plant was installed ....I had not seen the Regner Junior in a boat....with the long 16 stroke, I am sure the engine would be a smooth runner!

What is the gear ratio?..... about 1.25:1 speed increase?
Does the simple <1 x 0 x 1> unbalance gear pinion drive directions cause any steerage issue?

If you had a gas regulator......you could steam for say 1 hour.......bring her in & have a  :coffee cuppa.......then steam out again for another voyage before returning to shore after a days steaming

Ugly looking vessel :c002 , but all good fun..... Derek  :beer
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:37:14 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »
Hi Derek,

the "Manassass" is one of my most uncomplicated boats. With the steam valve one can revers the engine at once, the effect of the rudder in opposite of a paddler is much more directly. Because of the big boiler no gas - steam regulator is necessary, at 3,5 bar the safety valve blow off, this produces a nice steam cloud over the boat. Gear ratio is 1 : 1.1. The effect of turning away caused by the 2 parallel turning screws can be neglected.

You find, it`s an ugly boat? It was complete purpose built - but the sphäric deck together with the sharp hull shape gives the boat a look of streamline, I think.

Offline kno3

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:06:05 PM »
I like the boat! And the boiler is huge.
Do you have a video of it?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »
unfortunately there isn`t a video. But the boat ist rather fast, because the hull has nearly a "streamlined" underwater form. "Manassas" is my most reliable steam model, there is a good steam production and the water capacity of boiler is good enough for 2 hours of running. The gas capacity suffices for more than one hour.

Regards

Thomas