Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Hello from Kevin in Somerset UK  (Read 1036 times)

Offline kevin

Hello from Kevin in Somerset UK
« on: June 22, 2018, 05:19:45 AM »
Good evening everyone
My name is Kevin and presently living in Somerset UK
I joined the Royal Navy in 1974 then did a total of 33 years with a 3 year gap between 1998 and 2001, most of that time was spent in submarines, and have served on various types, Conventional and nuclear including Polaris and Trident
I’m married to Ruth and the other love of my life is Dobbie a 3 year on male English Cocker spaniel
I love my model boat building and currently have a few on the go like the 1/72 Jotikka Caldercraft HMS Victory
1/80 Marcle SD 14 a 8 foot cargo ship being made in card
But at present I am about 1/3 way through a semi scratch build cold war Destroyer HMS Fife using a Fleetscale hull
I hit the magic 60 year old mark this year and want to do a paddle steamer (static, like the above) I would like 1/48 scale therefore I would quess at about 60” long must be British and not to fussed if the hull is GRP or scratched in wood
I have only looked at the Waverly or maid of the loch, as I have seen them on many occasions having lived in Helensburgh for many years
I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Kevin in Somerset UK
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:12:09 AM »
Welcome to Paddleducks Kevin have a look around the forum any questions just ask there's lots of very knowledgeable paddle buffs here only too happy to help fellow modellers.

DamienG.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
Welcome Kevin..... :beer...be rest assured if you do go down a Waverley build path, there are plenty of members here only too happy to assist with comments

I see a Vickers 4.5" Twin Gun Mount on the foredeck....many years ago I supervised refits on the same mounts on our RAN vessels

We also see a Dog in the Window :whistle .....is that Dobbie or just a model?

Derek

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:41:32 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline kevin

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »
Welcome Kevin..... :beer...be rest assured if you do go down a Waverley build path, there are plenty of members here only too happy to assist with comments

I see a Vickers 4.5" Twin Gun Mount on the foredeck....many years ago I supervised refits on the same mounts on our RAN vessels

We also see a Dog in the Window :whistle .....is that Dobbie or just a model?

Derek

Derek

meet Dobbie
I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

Offline kevin

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 04:18:32 PM »
Welcome to Paddleducks Kevin have a look around the forum any questions just ask there's lots of very knowledgeable paddle buffs here only too happy to help fellow modellers.

DamienG.

Thank you

Offline Talisman

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Good to see a new member and keen at that, better than ten pressed men lol.

Interesting you want to do a static model, your then not constrained in the way the RC guys are in that weight is not an issue and scale can prevail ... or modelers licence what ever you prefer but the all important waterline won't be so much of an issue.

You have probably Googled the life out a new project and are probably aware of what is commercially available.

If you  stick to the Clyde then I'm happy to advise the following-
Decide on a subject then contact the Mitchel Library or any of the other repositories we are fortunate to have around the Clyde there is a huge amount of info available. If you need more info on where to find the info just ask.

Look forward to see where your interest takes you.

Regards,
Kim
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:27:36 AM by Talisman »

Offline kevin

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Good to see a new member and keen at that, better than ten pressed men lol.

Interesting you want to do a static model, your then not constrained in the way the RC guys are in that weight is not an issue and scale can prevail ... or modelers licence what ever you prefer but the all important waterline won't be so much of an issue.

You have probably Googled the life out a new project and are probably aware of what is commercially available.

If you  stick to the Clyde then I'm happy to advise the following-
Decide on a subject then contact the Mitchel Library or any of the other repositories we are fortunate to have around the Clyde there is a huge amount of info available. If you need more info on where to find the info just ask.

Look forward to see where your interest takes you.

Regards,
Kim
Thank you Kim

Obviously i am in the early stages of decision making, but quite excited about doing something without loads on guns on, i will certainly keep in contact, but for today i have to return "to something with guns on LOL"
this is a photo of my 1/2 completed HMS Victory in 1/72

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline kevin

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 02:04:29 AM »
Good evening everyone

sorry i have not been on for a year, since introducing myself

just to say though that i have now making a purchase of the Mountfleet PS Talisman hull in 1/48 scale, and will be a Christmas pressie to my self so hopr to make a start in a few months, by which lime i will have sourced plans and reference material