Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: tamiya gearboxes  (Read 2717 times)

greateastern

tamiya gearboxes
« on: September 27, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
Today at was the electronic store and noticed that Tamiya made gearboxes. It is likely common knowledge but they certainly seem ideal for paddler since most come with a shaft that is crosswise to the the gears. Here are a few pics in case they have gone un-noticed. They are CHEAP by current plastic model prices running from 10 - 18 $US. If this is old news--round-file it.

Offline Gerhardvienna

Re: tamiya gearboxes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
Hi Dave
This gearboxes look interesting, even for me. For smaller paddlers they must be useful!
Regards
Gerhard
Problems are just unfound solutions

Offline TailUK

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
Tamiya are pretty good but for larger models you can do a lot worse than Heng Long tank gearboxes.  These are easily available on fleabay for as little as 10.00 GBP. You can also get them with steel gears for around 20.00 GBP but I found the nylons gear are very strong and quite adequate.  (see pic, the last set I bought"

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »
Another from the Tamiya stable that would drive 1:1 pulley's choose your own output speed by adding or subtracting Planetary segments a powerful smaller setup.

Offline fouldsy67

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »
Tamiya are pretty good but for larger models you can do a lot worse than Heng Long tank gearboxes.  These are easily available on fleabay for as little as 10.00 GBP. You can also get them with steel gears for around 20.00 GBP but I found the nylons gear are very strong and quite adequate.  (see pic, the last set I bought"

Hi there im very interested on how these preform as im looking at using these myself im wondering what rpm there shaft speed is and torque
im hopiing to use them to drive a 150mm wheel 12 paddles 50mm wide x 20mm deep
any help wopuld be good
Cheers Wayne

Offline TailUK

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »
The motors are around 340 in size and quite good quality.  The output shaft from the gear box was clocked at about 100 to 120 rpm.  Now I have no way of measuring the torque but I was unable to stall the motor by gripping the output shaft by hand.  HTH

Offline fouldsy67

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:04:42 PM »
thanks for the reply that sounds like the way to go then using the tank motor/gearbox i was worried that the rpm might have been to high but sounds like its about right for what i need
Cheers Wayne

Offline TailUK

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 12:32:43 AM »
To be honest they're as cheap as chips so if they wont do you can consign them to the spares box.  I mean you couldn't buy 2 340 motors for ten quid not to mention a fist full of decent sized gear wheels.