Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ascot/Racecourse class minesweepers.  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Chris Harding

Ascot/Racecourse class minesweepers.
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:32:12 PM »
Afternoon all,

Is there a GRP hull on the market that would at a pinch be suitable (with some surgery) for an ascot/racecourse class minesweeper. I think the answer is probably no, but I know what a well informed lot you are out there. So I thought I'd ask anyway.

Many thanks

Chris
They say drink ruins intelligent thought. Sorry! what was the question?

Offline rob

Re: Ascot/Racecourse class minesweepers.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
Ive no idea, a more knowlegeable person will no doubt be along soon........... but what a great project it could be .

Offline djcf

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
Hi Chris
Kim from Clyde model boats does a good quality 1:48 hull for the 1899 Waverley, (not the present one),  which had the same basic dimensions as the minesweepers ( I think the sweepers were a foot or two broader).
I'm not sure but I think the sweepers had quite a distinctive rounded sort of stern rather than the normal counter stern on other steamers like Waverley, however maybe this could be adapted.
Kim is "Talisman" on here maybe you could PM him or contact details on clyde model boats website, I'm sure he could advise you.
2 pics of the hull.
regards
Clark
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:25:53 PM by djcf »

Offline Chris Harding

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:49:38 PM »
Morning Clark,

That hull should fit the bill nicely. I was going to PM Kim regarding his proposed deck and superstructure parts for HMS Volcano. They look so good I have shelved this project until he is ready. I will PM him today.  Many thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it. I knew somebody out there would have the answer.

Many thanks

Chris

Offline djcf

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:29:03 AM »
Glad to help Chris, its a nice hull.
Do you have plans/drawings for the racecourse class?
Clark

Offline Chris Harding

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:31:05 AM »
Afternoon Clark,

At the moment I only have the model boats article from 1966 which does have drawings but only A4 size. When I was working in the university this would not have been a problem to get these blown up, but now I do not have access to this facility. Are there any reasonable size plans available? Obviously now I can get a  GRP hull I will search for any plans that may be out there. Any help is very welcome.

Cheers

Chris

greateastern

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
Hi Chris, the easy way to do it with the drawings you have is to scan it at the percent you want in pixels.
  For example, if your drawing is 8 inches,  and you want it to be 32 inches, scan it at  400 dpi and save it.
Open it in your photo program, choose resize, set pixels to 100 where is shows 400,   UNCHECK resample image, and click OK. Your will then have  a 32 in picture (to print out in sections) at 100 dpi which will be just fine for the purpose you need.
 There is also a program which is in the downloads called Rasterbator which can also help you enlarge the drawings.
  There is also a way to use  the Opera browser if none of the above works for you. It is a bit cumbersome but it will get the job done.
Glasgow Univ Archives has in file No GD400/21 specs, agreements and guidance drawings (unclear as to what these drawings  are). Ailsa Shipyard files
dave
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:59:24 PM by greateastern »

Offline Chris Harding

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:42 PM »
Morning Dave,

Many thanks for that. I am impressed with your precise explanation, but it has made my brain hurt. I will give it a go. Or more than likely I will get my brother to give it a go. He has been working with computers for most of his life, whereas I was forced to get computer literate when I joined the university 25 years ago, never had to work with images though. They say your never too old to learn.

Many thanks

Chris

Offline marinemole

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 05:41:26 AM »
My friend Lachie Stewart has started a model of HMS Kempton as he is heavily into Ferguson built ships. He has used the hull for the Jeannie Deans heavily modified, a section cut out of the middle and rejoined, major surgery on the stern and a modification to the bow.

Hopefully I'll get some pictures soon.

Andy
Lobby your MP.....make Moles a protected species.