Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Paddler Day 2013  (Read 9939 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Paddler Day 2013
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »
Hi all,

Paddler Day 2013 will take place on Sunday 1st September this year. This is the ONLY show devoted entirely to models powered by paddle wheels (side wheel, quarter wheel or sternwheel).

We hope to pull out all the stops this year, and have a number of new ideas for the show to make it even more special.... I'll tell you about those as we get things organised, but it should certainly be one of THE events for you to put in your diary.

We look forward to seeing old friends and hopefully making some new ones at this years show, so please come along and support a truely unique event in the modelling calendar - You'll all be made to feel very welcome!

Regards
Eddy

P.S. Full directions to the show are given in the text file attached below:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:06:41 AM by Eddy Matthews »
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline scotfriend

Re: Paddler Day 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 06:47:30 AM »
Hi Eddy,

it is on my diary, i try not to come alone ;)

Best regards Hans
When i read about the evils of drinking, I decide to give up reading

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 02:52:30 AM »
Just read the January Model Boats (It takes a while for them to come over here I think they send them by was of Australia) and found the article on the Darlington & District MBC Paddler Open Day. While it was a good write up I was a bit disappointed that this forum was not mentioned.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
Only 12 weeks now until Paddler Day 2013..... We're looking forward to meeting old friends and hopefully meeting some new ones too!

So it's time to start dusting off those models and get them ready for the big day!

For anyone that's thinking "I'd like to come, but I don't have a paddler to sail", still think about popping along, we can normally arrange for one of our club models to be available for anyone that wants to give it a try...

It's a very laid back and friendly show, food and drinks are available, as well as ample free parking. Everyone is welcome!

If anyone has any questions, just PM me on here or send me an email....

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:54:11 AM »
A couple of bits of info on the forthcoming show....

As usual we will have a "Bring & Buy" Stall. So if you have anything to sell bring it along and earn some cash! Or bring some cash and get a bargain! ALL modelling related items are welcome, not just paddlers! 10% comission payable to Darlington & Distric MBC by all sucessful sellers - It helps us keep the show costs down, so the more the merrier! Hell, never mind modelling stuff - We'll try to sell anything for you as long as it's legal ;)

We will have our ever dependable band of ladies providing the catering facilities, so hot and cold food and drinks will be available all day at very reasonable prices.

There is Free parking for all visitors - Sailors and spectators alike! We also have limited disabled parking too - But please bear in mind that there are steps up to our sailing water... We will try our best to get everyone up there even if they need a bit of a hand, just ask for assistance. If you need a disabled parking space, just contact Eddy Matthews via this forum to prebook a space. It's available on a first come first served basis only, but we'll try our best to fit everyone in!

Clyde Model Boats will have their trade stand at the show as usual, they have a unique range of products which includes a good range of Paddle Steamers as well as other items not available anywhere else! Well worth a look! And Kim and Susan (the owners of the company) are around all day to answer any questions you may have, as well as giving help and advice if needed.

There will be both indoor and outdoor display areas for models which aren't sailing, so everything is there for you to view.

We ask for a small fee of 2 for each model that you wish to sail, which helps to cover our costs for the show. We have a transmitter pound, to ensure that there are no frequency clashes for those using 27Mhz or 40Mhz radio gear - Sailing slots will be allocated to give everyone an equal chance of sailing their models. So a little bit of "give and take" is required by all participants - It's only fair that everyone gets an equal share of the time available on the water. Those using 2.4Ghz radios are not restricted by the sailing times, though you can leave your transmitter in the "Pound" for safe keeping if you want to wander off to view the models, go for a bite to eat, or use the loo!

A "rescue Boat" will be onhand all day, crewed by one of our club members, so should a model have an unexpected breakdown it can be retrieved - Please do not attempt to use the rescue boat yourself! Our club members are insured in case of injury, you may not be! Just ask for assistance if you need it.

Our club members will be on hand to look after your models if you wish to go and have something to eat/drink, use the loo, or have a wander - You can either tie them up at the lakeside, or remove the model from the water and place it on one of the tables provided for the purpose. Just ask at the "Transmitter Pound" for someone to keep an eye on it. We try our best to keep prying fingers off the models, but sadly we cannot be held responsible for any damage!

That's about it for now..... So lets hope for good weather this year!

Regards
Eddy

Offline Bob Golder

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 02:21:15 AM »
Not long now until 1st September and this year's PADDLER DAY  :terrific  Club members are hard at work constructing our new "T" shaped docking pier (with lighthouse ) and preparing the lakeside for visitors.  We hope for a fine, calm day but, if it rains, covered tables will be available to park your models and, as usual, the refreshment room will be open  :coffee   :gathering

Directions to the lake will be posted nearer to the day.

See you there   :sunglasses
Cheers from Bob Golder

Offline scotfriend

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »
Hi folks,

sorry for beeing so quiet for such a long time but it wasn't an easy time so far.

I have now booked my room at Premierinn Yarm Road Cleveland TS18 3RT i will stay there for two nights from 31.08 till 02.09.2013 when leaving for the ferry.

See you in about four weeek's, best regards Hans.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:57:21 PM by scotfriend »
When i read about the evils of drinking, I decide to give up reading

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 03:16:27 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing you Hans, it's been a while since we met with one thing and another....

Regards
Eddy

Offline Bob Golder

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »
Only four more weeks to paddler day  :clap Time to prepare journey plans and decide which models to bring.  As last year, steam driven models will be permitted on the water as well as the main flotilla of paddlers. Last year's steam driven prize was won by a member of our host club, this year we want to see some stiff competition from other modellers.  Could the winner be a steam driven paddler??  See you there.
Cheers from Bob Golder

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »
Yes it's getting very close now Bob - Lets hope we have some good weather, and more importantly a good turnout!

Just to clarify one of Bobs points - As well as paddlers, we will also be allowing any steam powered models to sail, whether they are paddlers or not. We hope this will open things up to a slightly wider audience without spoiling the whole idea of the show.

So get those models ready and come along - You'll be given a very warm welcome!

Regards
Eddy

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »
Only three more weeks until the big day! Can't wait to meet up with old friends again....

Regards
Eddy

Offline Bob Golder

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 02:31:09 AM »
A small error has occurred in one of Eddy's posts  :oops  The charge on the day is 2 per person entering not (unfortunately as I'm club treasurer  :() 2 per model   :goodnews  So it's cheaper to attend  see you there, no excuses.
Cheers from Bob Golder

Offline Bob Golder

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
In just two weeks time the waters of Middleton Water park will be host to the twin wakes of many paddlers  :great  make sure your's will be there  ;)
Cheers from Bob Golder

grayone

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 04:03:46 AM »
I have just arranged my flight to come visit the paddler day ;D, a mere 5,700 miles ::) from Johannesburg South Africa.

Looking forward to seeing the real thing after having just read about it in the Model Boat Mag

Graham

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
Wow Graham!! a 5,700 mile trip to a model show, thats dedication! ;)

Can anyone else beat that?

I'll look forward to seeing you on the day...

Regards
Eddy