Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: New book: Murray River & Mallee  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Roderick Smith

New book: Murray River & Mallee
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
I bought a copy while voyaging on PS Marion 2 weeks ago.  It is magnificent.
It is not a paddlesteamer book as such: the boats are only part of the total picture and variety of aspects covered.
The book shows why riverboaters love the river: its moods, its history, its engineering, towns and landmarks.  It covers the whole sweep from Australian Alps to Goolwa.
I met Shane when he was following the Oscar W centenary fleet, and may well have been standing beside him when he took the p51 photo.
Jessie II is visible in the panaroma of a Goolwa Wooden Boat Festival (p167).

The book is quite ambivalent about its title: four variations.  The one which bibliographers will use is on the title page:
Murray River & Mallee; Australia's great river landscape
isbn 978-0-0908029-0-0
It is divided into about 28 chapters, plus sections on each of the river towns.  While it is principally pictorial, each section has economical and helpful text (not just extended capations), so it is more than solely coffee table.  There is also a good map.

From Shane Strudwick www.MurrayRiver.com.au [info@rivermurray.com]
The Murray River is both a precious resource and spectacular landscape full of
diversity, experiences and great times. We realise there's so much attention on
what's wrong we've decided to look at what's magical and special about it.
For the past 6 years I've been professionally photographing the Murray River
region from the mountains to the mouth and collecting the secret stories and heritage of the river.
Just released: a limited run, A4 landscape sized, 172 page full colour,
hard bound coffee-table book focusing on the rich natural beauty, proud history,
character filled communities and stunning landscapes of the Murray and its surrounds.
The book is designed and printed in Australia on FSC renewable source papers
and I've worked hard to ensure the quality of this book is outstanding for you to enjoy!
Rrp AUD69.95.
Preview: www.murrayriver.com.au/book
You'll also find more information on the author and a couple of YouTube videos, and information on the printing process.
The Murray River and Murray-Darling Basin have a long way to go but appreciating its beauty is a critical part to saving this amazing river and eco-system. We hope you'll continue to share the message and beauty of Australia's great river with us.  $3 from every book goes to Wombat Conservation.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:50:19 AM by Roderick Smith »