Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: William the Fourth (Newcastle, NSW, Australia)  (Read 3189 times)

Offline tonyh

William the Fourth (Newcastle, NSW, Australia)
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
Hi all,
After watching 'The Liners' DVD (which I bought from the local bargain shop), I couldn't help but notice this lovely little paddler from Australia. 
Can anyone advise as to the progress with the vessels restoration progress? An older thread existed some years ago, but this is now obviously out of date.

Tony.

Offline Roderick Smith

Re: William the Fourth (Newcastle, NSW, Australia)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:54:34 AM »
I have heard nothing, and suspect that that is because nothing has happened.  You might try looking over the island in Google View (which tends to be fuzzy and older) or Nearmap (sharper and more recent, but not with all areas covered yet).
As you will see from the earlier thread, it was on the hard, in a secure compound.  I don't know how much deterioration could occur without some conservation work; or funding for restoration work was obtained.

It is a long trek for Wollongong-based Derek to travel just to do a check.  There is only a quick glimpse available from the public side of the harbour.  Entry to the compound is not just a matter of fronting to the gate and signing in: approval has to be gained from the main office, in advance.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline Barry

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »
Seems they're struggling to get it going.
http://vimeo.com/12040599

Offline tonyh

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
It is worth watching the two previous clips to the one in the link (by Barry). The clip showing timber steaming and bending during the vessels construction is interesting.

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 09:31:28 AM »
It is pleasing to see the progress until the money ran out; I had feared that deterioration would set in too far.

The hugely-expanded maritime museum, on the waterfront in the heart of the city (amongst yuppie apartment buildings and water-view restaurants), is hopeful that the vessel will be moored alongside and operate from there.  That seems logical: mutual reinforcement, and possibly more support forthcoming.  I don't know what the preservation group thinks.
I had a conversation way back that the vessel is hard to handle, and might be a liability in an area with major shipping; keep it out of harms way.
I suspect that the vessel is no harder to handle than a Murray one: less windage on the vessel (although in a more-windswept waterway), and with a deeper keel than a Murray riverboat.
The cruise up Hunter River to Morpeth is very attractive, and Morpeth is a tourist town in its own right, with restaurants and pubs for visitors.  Local harbour tours are interesting, with a range of modern and old wharves to view.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline tonyh

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 04:37:30 AM »
One of the clips showed diesel engines. Is the restored vessel to be diesel powered and not coal/steam as when she was filmed in 'The Liners'?
Interesting to note the original paddler went to China, never to be seen again.

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
Yes, I am sure diesel propulsion was being discussed 3 years ago.  Apart from the lower cost and easier start up for a quick cruise, I recall that the existing steam equipment was regarded as underpowered, leading to the lack of control in the fairly-busy harbour.
As part of the ongoing debate regarding the future of PS Cumberoona (Albury), conversion to diesel was also mooted.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 06:29:54 AM »
A note from a colleague who provided a few photographs of WtheF for us when in our YAHOO days.......Derek

"Last I heard when talking to the guy who was head of the volunteer restoration, It is still sitting over at the dockyard vegetating while the Newcastle council who apparently now own it, try to figure out what to do with it, because like all councils they are half broke. Make that councils and governments. Oops better stop don't want to start on the most respected occupation going. - If I hear more I will let you know".
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline tonyh

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 06:29:38 AM »
Despite this being such an old thread, it's good to see the replica paddler return to the water. The video clip is worth watching. Reading about the restoration, diesel is incorporated with the steam plant. For anyone living nearby it certainly looks like a very worthwhile cruise (or visit).

http://williamthefourth.com.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
Interesting. But she is diesel prupulsed now, isn`t she?

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 01:18:43 AM »

In the video it seems that there is a propeller at stern.
Maybe the mentioned steam engine turns the (fake?) paddlewheels and the real propulsion comes from the diesel/propeller power.
Much like the stern wheelers at Hamburg harbor.