Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Plastic Magic conversion of 'Great Western'  (Read 6878 times)

Offline tonyh

Plastic Magic conversion of 'Great Western'
« on: November 20, 2009, 09:37:35 AM »
Next months (January 2010) Model Boats magazine (on sale 17 Dec 2009) is to include a working 'Plastic Magic' conversion of the Airfix kit of the Paddle Steamer Great Western. Buillder is Dr Marcus Rooks.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: Plastic Magic conversion of 'Great Western'
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
That sounds interesting Tony, thanks for letting us know.... Is the kit still available?

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline tonyh

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 02:08:33 AM »
Not sure if the kit is still available Eddy.

After the item is printed we may be able to apply the methods used to other plastic model kits. Revell's 'Goethe' and Zvezda's 'Sirius' spring to mind.

Anyone know of any others?

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:05:34 AM »
The Airfix Great Western is no longer listed on their web site, it is one of their earliest kits, but alas has several accuracy problems.

Also no longer listed but occasionaly available is Revells Great Eastern.

Daryl

Offline tonyh

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:59:24 AM »
Found yet more plastic paddler kits awaiting somebody to be brave enough to apply 'plastic magic' to

Revell/Monogram USA - 'Robert E Lee' (15")
Lindberg USA now J Lloyd International - 'Robert E Lee (22")
Lindberg USA   "          "              "               - USS 'Harriet Lane' (originally manufactured by Pyro).           Due for re-release in April 2010 as Civil War Blockade Runner.

Anyone know of any more?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:32:02 AM by tonyh »

Offline Walter Snowdon

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 08:48:13 AM »
The best kit of a paddler for motorising Is a lrge Japanese kit of the  American Paddle Friggate SUSQUEHANNA The kit manufacturer escapes me, but I think this is the largest paddler plastic kit ever built. I have seen one motorised at an IPMS show at South  Shields and I was drooling! The kit occasionaly appeers on ebay for silly money.
The GREAT WESTERN kit was released as a limited run kit by airfix qwithin the last couple of years in rather bland packaging and I have seen it fairly recently ihn a couple of model shops.
 The best available kit for motorising is the Zvevda BRITTANIA. This has a good broad deck for access and good sized wheels. The beam is very good for stability.
Many years ago when Airfix Magazine was THE premier plastics mag they used to pubish a VER GOOD annual. One of the early ones had an ezcellent article on converting Great Western into a very Ealy Thames tug.
 Thats it for now, regards, Walter.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »
The kit of the Susquehanna Walter mentioned is made by Aoshima (formerly made by Imai)...

It's certainly not cheap though!!

Eddy
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:09:57 AM by Eddy Matthews »
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:38 AM »
There's also the Revell model of the Goetha, which I should have remembered earlier as I have one!

Don't think it's suitable for a working model though, as the hull is far too sahllow and it has a LOT of topweight!

Regards
Eddy

Offline tonyh

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »
Walter/Eddie,

Couldn't help but find out more about the Aoshima 'Susquehanna'.

Walter - you are quite right this would be one to drool over and at 719mm long would put many r/c kits to shame.

Eddie - you are quite right, it is certainly not a cheap kit and appears to be still available in the USA.

Offline tonyh

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
The Aoshima 'Susquehanna' is featured in Plastic Kit Scene (author Robin Trott) in the June 2010 Marine Modelling International. The Japanese manufacturer has released this model (again?) of an American 19th century paddle warship. As per earlier posts at 71.3cm long this would make a fabulous r/c conversion.

The re-release of the Lindberg Civil War Blockade Runner has been delayed until October.

Best Regards
Tony.

Offline tonyh

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 04:35:49 AM »
Looks like the Lindberg kit has been re-released now - available from the USA

http://www.ehobbies.com/lnd70856.html

Tony

Frodoro

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
Wo,w that is a really good Civil War Blockade Runner Ship Model Kit. Thanks tonyh for the info. I hope they will further reduce the price so I can buy one for my collection.

Structural Foam 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:10:58 PM by Frodoro »