Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: A MacBRayne Album  (Read 3061 times)

Offline AlistairD

A MacBRayne Album
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:53:04 AM »
Just published is A MacBrayne Album by Alistair Deayton and Iain Quinn, published by Amberley Publishing.

This is a 128pp paperback with a 32pp colour section. At the core of the book are copies of a collection of glass slides, originally compiled by Capt Alex Rodger, which were donated to Iain. These are mainly previously unpublished photos of MacBrayne steamers from pre-war years. To this is added a selection of timetable covers, notes of journeys around 1910 by C L D Duckworth, mini biographies of James Burns, David Hutcheson and David MacBrayne from contemporary publications, images of a MacBrayne luggage label, a collection of MacBrayne tickets, early adverts from 1868 and more. Rare photos include a couple of colour shots of McCallum Orme's HEBRIDES In her final year, 1955 and a series of LOCHINVAR in her various funnel permutations
It is a very full book and I am sure will be of interest to everybody interested in the shipping of the Clyde and West Highlands in the pre-car ferry era.

I am sure it will be available at the normal bookshops, although I have not checked.Copies will be for sale at the Clyde River Steamer Club, Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and West Highland Steamer club meetings this month
Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
Re: A MacBRayne Album
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »
Hello all, a welcome and worthy subject Alistair. I have looked at the publishers website but the new book doen't appear to be on there yet. You may have given us all a great sneak preview  ;) If anyone want to contact the publisher their telephone number is  or alternatively  the link to their web-shop is

http://www.amberleybooks.com/shop/page/19?shop_param=shop_overview_pager%3D2%26cid%3D11%26

cheers

Jim
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

sandystrone

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:05:23 AM »
Santa Claus brought me a copy of A MACBRAYNE ALBUM.

Another gem of a read from Alistair - keep them coming!           Sandy

Offline djcf

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »
Agreed, I got a copy also, some fantastic photos in there, in fact one even solved a mystery about window positions for my Lochiel model  :D