Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Drive System  (Read 6093 times)

wjr63

Drive System
« on: June 23, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
Greetings  I am taking my first plunge into paddlewheel boats. I am building a 40 in sternwheeler.  I am debating how to turn the wheel,I read someplace that  the belt and sprockets from a printer will work. I tore apart an old printer for theses parts the sprocket on the motor has cogs the other is smooth, wondering if the smooth one will slip.Also the belt is to long if I cut it shorter what do I use to put it back together. Like I said this is all new territory for me, I am used to shafts and props. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne

amdaylight

Re: Drive System
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:03:35 PM »
Wayne,

You might save your self a lot of trouble and order a set of sprockets and some chain from Servo City. Sprockets ( http://www.servocity.com/html/plain_bore_sprockets___1227_.html ) and chain ( http://www.servocity.com/html/chain.html ). You might be able to find it locally if you look under robotics.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

wjr63

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:33:29 AM »
Hey Andre  Thanks for the web site info. My drive system just got simplified. I believe the plastic chain is the way to go. Now I have to figure out sizes.
Thanks again for the info
Wayne

FWE

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:37:45 AM »
Just don't go the route of metal chain on metal sprockets. It sets up a lot of radio interference - as I found out.  :(

wjr63

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 05:21:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I am going to buy plastic sprockets snd chain from Servo City.
Wayne

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
Wayne, you do not say what you have for power so suggestions for gearing can only be a guess but most paddlers need to have the paddlewheels turing at around 100 to 150rpm so if you then work out a ratio that puts your motor at its most efficient revs when the wheels are doing say 120rpm that will give you the best battery duration (if it is electric). My steam paddler has a sprocket ration of 3.32:1 (27T to 8T) but electric will need a lower ratio than that. The steam engine is only turning about 450rpm where an electric motor might need to turn 2000rpm so would need a ratio of perhaps 16:1. Hope this helps, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

wjr63

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
Thanks Ian
My powering choice is a 550 motor on 7.2 volts. When I look at servo cities size charts I am totally lost.
My design has changed. I want to build it as a towboat. Modeled after a towboat called the Barbara H, a towboat on the Ohio River. I would like to push a 36 in barge with HO scale train cars on board. That way I can enjoy both of my hobbies.  Can you offer any suggestions for sprocket size. Like I said I am really lost when it comes to this.
Thanks
Wayne

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »
Wayne, I am sorry but my knowledge of electric powered paddlers is very limited, I only have the steam one. It may be that you need a motor with a built in reduction gear to get the right ratio but I am sure someone else on the forum will be able to  advise you. Regards, Ian
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »
Hi PD's ....& just before you go out & purchase your components wjr63...........please consider

1) a 550 motor is ...shall we say ...a high speed motor ...but low on torque on low speed @ any voltage which = HIGH current draw
2) A model of say 1:12 to 1:48 scale would need 0 to 150 RPM max on your paddle shaft.....as Ian has previously suggested

:thinking..... about all of this & do some research yourself ........come back with some serious questions .....& one of our PD members wiil assist........Derek..... :beer

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Barry

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »
I'd agree with Derek about the 550 motor. It wouldn't be my first choice. It's too high a reving motor, something like 15,000 rpm. It would need a lot of reductions to make it usable. A 555 would be a better choice if you want to use that size motor only about 5000 rpm and more torque. Alternatively have a look at the Dumas motor and gearbox. All set up for use in their Creole Queen paddler. Another one that may be worth a look at would be Motor No#16 at www.loyalhannedockyard.com 1800rpm about the same size as the 550.

"Gear Head Paddle Wheel Mtr - #1222 & #1235 #2029
"This is the paddle wheel motor to use in the Creole Queen, kit #1222 and the Mt. Washington, kit #1235."
"$65.00" ( U.S.)
 www.dumasstore.com

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:11:12 PM by Barry »

wjr63

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 01:59:36 AM »
Thanks Guys for the advice and suggestions. The reason I decided on the 550 size is it is what I have on hand. I have used these motors in a 50 in Battleship, Latina amsterdam tug and a 55 in tanker. seemed to have enough power. a light finger on the throttle. I will be looking into a 555 size.I will be using chain drive with reduction.
Thanks again for the help
Wayne

Offline bill stafford

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 08:59:02 AM »
gday wayne , my advice , look at the robbe/graupner spure boxes , i mounted one onto a alum. chassis , driving a 3:1 graupner spure gear set , so i had either 2:1/3:1/5:1 reduction driving the spure gear set w 2:1/2.5:1/3:1 optional rations , then toothed belt reduction of 3.2:1 driving paddle wheel of approx. 160mm , adelaide paddler in 1/24 scale -that way i can alter ratios to alter shaft speed , i aim for 300/350 RPM at the paddle wheel shaft +a555 revs at say about 5000RPM , but the 550 does easy 15000 rpm , another way to tune the motor set up , alter the motor , but be carfull, as you need much more thrust in windy sailing days , ive seen a model adelaide almost blown backwards , that ran well on a calm day .
 i would like a supplyer of pile boxes w different ratios ??
bill

sandystrone

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
FWE
I have used metal Meccano chain and sprockets to drive in all the 10 paddle steamers I have built, and never had any radio interference.

amdaylight

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 12:48:38 PM »
Wayne,

Go back and look at the gear motors that Servo City sell at $24.99 this may save you a lot of head aches, ( http://www.servocity.com/html/200_rpm_gear_motor.html ) At 200 rpm you can use a 1:1 sprocket size, if you go for the the 300rpm motor you would need the sprocket on the motor to have half of the number of teeth from the paddle wheel sprocket. For example use a 20 tooth sprocket ( RHS-250-20 ) on the motor and a 40 tooth sprocket ( RHS-250-40 ) on the paddle wheel shaft, this will cut your drive speed down by half and give you much more power. Sometimes the worst mistakes that I have made is trying to use something that I had on hand rather that going out and getting the right thing and then having to go back and change / re-engineer after the model is finished.

Andre  :D