Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Laser cut plastic paddle wheel kits.  (Read 20729 times)

Offline Barry

Re: Laser cut plastic paddle wheel kits.
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »
My initial thoughts on the size of the stern wheel were to do it in 1:24 scale which would make the dia around 71/2" or 190mm. There's a set of plans in the early stages of being drawn up, not by me, in that scale and my wheel in would tie in with them. At 1:24 scale the Captain Sturt would be around 6' long. Did you have a particular size in mind for your wheel Herrmil?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:34:34 PM by Barry »

Offline herrmill

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
Am partial to 1/35-1/48 scale to make models more manageable in hauling around but have to consider the shallow draft of these subjects.
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Barry

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
I've done some initial drawings for the Captain Sturt wheel to give you an idea of what it looks like and to see weather it would suit your needs. It's easy enough to made changes at this stage. If you could let me know what you think I can make any necessary changes before I go any further.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:13:35 PM by Barry »

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »
Barry, I have today received a book containing details of the Manuwai, the paddler I am interested in and interestingly it was made by Yarrows and based on paddlers built for the Nile and the Zambesi so there may be others who could use the same wheel. The original boat was 106ft long and I was going to build at 1:24. The paddle wheel was 10ft diameter by 11ft 9in wide and had 10 floats 9in wide. That would give a model wheelof 5in (125mm) dia so it might well be possible to use parts from your other wheels. It seems a small wheel for such a large boat but I know they were very keen to keep he to a shallow draft and obviously it worked as she went up some horrendous looking rapids. Look forward to working with you to develope a wheel. Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline Barry

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »
Hi Herrmill. I've done some more work on the Captain Sturt wheel. Here's another drawing.

Offline herrmill

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:25 PM »
Looks pretty good to me. ;D 
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 05:00:19 AM »
Barry,

I can't see any mention of price for the PS Adelaide wheels - Can you tell me how much they would be including postage to the UK?

I'd probably want TWO sets if I go ahead with my plan......

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Barry

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 12:12:08 PM »
Hi Eddy,
The Adelaide wheels cost $140 Australian a set. Free postage to Paddleduck members.
That's going to be a monster boat with four paddlewheels.

Captain Sturt wheel is coming along, a bit slower than I'd like as I'm also painting rooms in the house, but it's getting there.
A couple of photos.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:55:52 AM by Barry »

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »
Cheers Barry,

I've sent you a PM about the wheels....

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline herrmill

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 08:42:17 AM »
Barry, those are looking very nice. 

Offline bill stafford

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »
 gday folks ,
 as a aussie modelller , i would like to recommend barrys paddle wheel kits , i must tell you that i know him well , and this has nothing to do w this recommend .
  the p wheels have a lot going for them , they are very strough for there size and construction method , but more importantly , extremly ligh in weight , and any weight saved out side the hull is VERY important for paddlers !!many a good model has being ruined with stability problems due to heavy wheels .
 the laser cut is that accurate , that the various parts line up almost by them selves , a good examble is the 4 pins in the hub assembly , on some wheel sets .
 try them , i dont think you will be disappointed +the more he sells , the more versions will be available .
 regards bill stafford , warrnambool MBC

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 05:24:26 PM »
Hi PD's ......& welcome on board Bill........when you get a chance to trawl throught the pages of comments in the Folders on Paddle Wheel and Construction you will find many references to the need to be VERY careful with outboard or upper weight

I also have a pair of wheels from Barry & courtesy of Float a Boat.....................Derek :beer ......just around the corner & up the coast a bit in Wollongong...... :hehe
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au