Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Laser cut plastic paddle wheel kits.  (Read 20682 times)

Offline pete

Re: Laser cut plastic paddle wheel kits.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
Just had a set sent over from Oz. Adrian & Rhonda Brewer at 'Float a Boat' could not have been more helpful, - highly recommended. Only took a week to get here!

Offline Barry

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 10:56:08 PM »
Thanks for buying a set of paddle wheels from Float a Boat, I don't think you can go wrong dealing with Adrian and Rhonda. The paddle wheel kits are now being sold through Float a Boat. More information on the kits can be found in their on line newsletters at >http://www.floataboat.com.au/Newsletter.htm< in the December 2008 and March 2009 issues. Also available now is an optional kit of imitation feathering gear to go with the 100mm and 140 mm. rimmed paddle wheels.
A sneak peek photo of a new style of wheel of to be released latter this month in both 100 mm. and 140 mm. diameters, details should be in the next Float a Boat newsletter.
The PS Adelaide wheel is one you might not be aware of yet. It's 177 mm. in dia. to suit Adrian's 1:24 scale plans of the Murray paddler.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:03:28 PM by Barry »

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Laser cut plastic paddle wheel kits.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 04:05:23 PM »
Hi PD's....here is another set down the hatch  :beer.................Derek

Hi Rhonda..Barry Gibson advised on Paddleducks of the optional kit of imitation feathering gear to go with the 140 mm - I realsise my wheel set is now in the post, but could I please order the optional feathering kit for my 140 diameter wheels

Payment via CTB MasterCard & delivery address as per the purchase last week - regards Derek
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for buying a set of paddle wheels from Float a Boat, I don't think you can go wrong dealing with Adrian and Rhonda. The paddle wheel kits are now being sold through Float a Boat. More information on the kits can be found in their on line newsletters at >http://www.floataboat.com.au/Newsletter.htm< in the December 2008 and March 2009 issues. Also available now is an optional kit of imitation feathering gear to go with the 100mm and 140 mm. rimmed paddle wheels.
A sneak peek photo of a new style of wheel of to be released latter this month in both 100 mm. and 140 mm. diameters, details should be in the next Float a Boat newsletter.

The PS Adelaide wheel is one you might not be aware of yet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- Original Message -----
To: Rhonda Brewer
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 4:51 PM
Subject: 140 Diameter Paddle Wheel Kit [Barry Gibson Style]

Hi Rhonda - confirmation discussion, could I please order a 140 mm diameter paddle wheel kit - you have my MasterCard detail again today @ $ + postage

Delivery address

DereK Warner
PO Box 294
Wollongong East
NSW 2520

I enjoy the news letter - regards Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Barry

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
Cheers Derek.  :beer

Offline Barry

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »
Thought I'd give you an up date on my paddlewheel kits. In addition to the two 100mm diameter wheels I now have a 140mm version of them. There's now a optional imitation feathering gear kit available for the rimmed wheels, which gives the look of feathering gear without the complications. All available through www.floataboat.com.au. See the March 2009 and May 2009 newsletters for more details.
If you ask Mike Mayhew of Waverley Models nicely I'm sure he'll show you the ones he's bought off me, might even sell you some.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:12:59 AM by Barry »

Offline herrmill

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
Very nice work!
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Barry

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »
Thanks Herrmill. :)

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 08:11:01 PM »
Any thoughts of branching out in to Sternwheeler wheels Barry? If not do you think it is possible to take a sidewheeler set and join all the rims up with long wooden floats to make one wheel? Thanks, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 09:04:08 PM »
Hi PD's ....Ian ....it would be very easy to add double extended wooden floats to a pair of the wheels from Barry.......to produce a sternwheel...just look @ the mockup attachment

My wheel set is still progressing with a few revised hubs from my mate 'bogstandard :respect' & will have full wooden float blades when finished.... :porkies....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Barry

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »
Hi Ian, I am looking at doing a stern wheel for the Captain Sturt. As the Captain Sturt was an American design I'm sure it would suit many other American paddlers. Did you have anything in particular in mind?
Barry.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 03:25:48 AM »
Is there a UK supplier for these wheels yet Barry? After smashing the ones I made for my model of the Sir William Wallace I really don't feel like making another set!! I need the 140mm rimmed wheels without feathering....

Secondly, how easy is it to change the size of the axle mounting? 1/4" is HUGE, and I already have shafts fitted to my model of 3/16" diameter which cannot be changed without a LOT of work!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Barry

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
As yet I haven't got a UK  supplier confirmed. I can take payment through Paypal if that helps you. The axle size would be very easy to change as there's a bush that that pushes into the hub. I went with a 1/4" bush as thats ready available here but I can turn some up some smaller ones for you.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
Thanks Barry,

Could you PM me with a price including P&P to the UK please?

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
Barry, I am just in the planning stages of a future project but it seems likely that it will be a New Zealand sternwheeler called Manuwai. Kiwi (Harry) is working on plans for her at the moment and will scale them to suit but I like my steam vessels with plenty of room so she will probably end up about 60" o/all. Not sure what size the wheel would be but just scaling up from the very small preliminary drawing Harry has sent it looks like the wheel would be about 140 to 150mm dia and 150 wide. The drawing actually shows a wheel with 3 rims and staggered floats so Dereks mockup looks pretty right. The wheel was the one thing scaring me off so I await your developement work eagerly. I am hoping to be able to connect the two cylinders of the engine direct to the wheels so would make alloy or brass hubs with some sort of lugs to transfer the drive to the wheels. Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline herrmill

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 02:33:51 PM »
Barry, what size wheel are you planning for the Capt. Stuart?  I plan to build one later this year & would be interested in one.  Depending on the size, it may well work on a Civil War tinclad I also plan to build.  

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte