Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: PS Enterprise- question for australian members  (Read 6320 times)

Ned Feary

PS Enterprise- question for australian members
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:26:43 PM »
Hi PDs

Somewhere I heard that you can't go on the Enterprise (on Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra) while it is in steam. Is this true?

If it is true then that is just a waste of a good paddle boat,and we will cross Canberra off our list for our next holiday!

Ned

michael

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:53:39 PM »
Yeah that is true, had some mates up there in Januray while she was in steam, they even owned paddlesteamers and still they weren't allowed on. She's locked up over the colder months, while i was there i managed to talk the manager into letting me onboard. And even such she is very pretty to see, she never painted properly, the engine is all out of elignment, and the boiler it only rated to 50psi so she only travels slowly. A sad fate to a great little boat, she should have stayed at Echuca!

Ned Feary

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »
Yeah you are right Michael she should have stayed at Echuca and it is where she/he was built.

Ned

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »
I was working at the Port of Echuca on the weekend just gone, and a couple came through the Sawmill Steam Display that happened to be deckies on the Enterprise, and said that she only is static, but for her 130th (I think) she will be taking a day of passengers.
They said that they can not take passengers because there are no facilities on board, and because it is owned by the Australian National Museum and represents a time (which was 1910 and the Enterprise's tug boat design) they cant change it to add seating or toilets.
Also, she was stuck on a sand bar and took 1 and a half weeks to winch get off.

Offline Roderick Smith

PS Enterprise
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:45:56 PM »
I had a look at the photo of PS Enterprise in steam on Sat.18.2.06, on a display day for a Friends of the Museum event (taken for Alistair's book, and not posted to Paddleducks).  I had thought that the friends (who raise money for the museum and the preservation of the boat) were aboard: not so.
There are four people visible aboard: the captain, two deckies; the fourth may be the engineer standing on the back deck, or may be another deckie (with the engineer being a fifth).
This could be an insurance issue.
The boat does have handrails, one of the requirements for commercial survey.
There are/were other club-operated paddlesteamers which do/did not meet the requirements for commercial survey, but which can/could carry club members (eg the former replica PS Mary Ann).
I had thought that if any group could be aboard legitimately, members of Friends of National Museum of Australia would qualify: apparently not so.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »
They are very strict on who is allowed on board the PS Enterprise, and I am not entirely sure why.. it is a pity though.
I wish it had stayed on the Murray, and joined the fleet of paddle steamers in Echuca or anywhere else.

michael

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 05:59:26 PM »
Here she is in July, last month. Hope it saved you a trip!!
Mind you it was bitterly cold when i was there

Offline Excelsior

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 08:28:59 AM »
It's really sad to see such a great little boat, which has been so beautifully restored, defiled by all that mesh caging around the superstructure & the out of place railings.  It's difficult to make out her lines & the simplicity of design which make her so lovely.

I heard a couple of years back that she had been offered to the Port of Echuca by the National Museum for the cost of transporting her to the river.  I'm not sure how acurate this is.  Maybe Michael is aware of it?

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 04:15:09 PM »
Hi PD's - is this really the Enterprise (on Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra) :?: - I don't recognize the skyline

The mooring looks specifically made for the vessel...just steam into the cushioned fender posts & the land walkway gate lines up with the vessels hand chain entry walkway etc

The hand rails appear to be the maritime version seen in shopping centres - all stainless steel tube & wire with turn buckles & tensioners.... great for little children to get snagged on :shock: - but still better than the 1/2 galvanized water pipe versions
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

michael

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »
Hey Mac, don't know anything about the offer to the port, If i did I would've gone up in the ute n trailer and brought her back!!!
Her engines are in need of work, apparently when her boiler was replaced they didn't re-line the engine and crankshaft, let alone she only cruises on 50psi, it would be very depressing to see her moving!
Canberra's city centre is more to the right of the photo's, was a very cold cloudy day.

Offline ljhall

PS Enterprise
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:16:56 PM »
Hi,

To the best of my knowledge the Enterprise was never offered back to the Port - I remember sending the National Museum of Australia an email back in 2004 in regards to the Enterprise being sold back to Echuca, and I got no reply from them.

I think she is firmly in Government hands, as she was purchased by the Government for the Museum.
Although it's a shame to see her laying idle and pretty much un-used in Canberra, if she was brought back to the Murray, chances are that she would never be in survey and used commercially, she is just too small and top heavy.

Larger Vessels have had a hard enough time getting approval  to operate commercially, so I don't hold out much hope of a passenger survey for the old girl.
Back in the 90's David Fitton obtained a survey for the Ranger, which allowed 20 passengers max. - this was short lived, however the Ranger has slightly more open deck space, and is single-decked, which tends to decrease the instability factor.
If you had too many people on the upper deck of the Enterprise, she would list pretty badly, her hull is only 15'6" in breadth. Actually speaking of listing badly, that photo of the Alexander Arbuthnot taken last October during the Fire Works display is just plain scary !!! - it looks as if she is about to capsize, actually her hull is 3 inches narrower than that of the Enterprise, so that goes to show you what could happen with too many people on one side.
It's a shame that many of these old boats are just too small for commercial use, and the politics of today's world.

I just heard that over in the US, the Delta Queen C.1926/27 will have her survey cancelled in November next year, simply because her superstructure is wooden, - funny isn't it - the very same country that can't build proper bridges and they go and pick on the poor old Delta Queen for having wooden superstructure, - I'm just so proud to be an Australian !!!

Michael, you mentioned that her Steam Engine and Crank Shaft are all out of alignment, - but by how much and can you tell just by looking ?

I remember one time Aaron told me that on the Adelaide, one cylinder sits about 1.5 inches higher than the other, - is this true ? - if it is then it doesn't seem to make much difference, she runs as sweet as a nut.
Regards,

Leith Hall

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 10:18:54 PM »
Hi PD's .... & as Leith noted....

I remember one time Aaron told me that on the Adelaide, one cylinder sits about 1.5 inches higher than the other, - is this true ? - if it is then it doesn't seem to make much difference

So  :thinking the explanation  for this is that the engine two/twin cylinder cylinder/barrel axis to the crank shaft aligment is relatively in-consequentional

It is not the height of any singular component, but the relative alignment between  multiple components........ I think it is time for a  :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Roderick Smith

Re: PS Enterprise
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
I have just been sent a copy of this week's Waikerie (SA) newspaper, ie ~Wed.15.10.08.
It carries the surprising news that the boat is on display at Morgan (SA) from Sat.18.10 until early 2009 [19.10 edit: I agree with the alert later posters; the boat is not at Morgan, only photos and information panels. 'showcase one of its most popular (and oldest) objects' is highly-misleading text].
Here is the ocr text (with most errors corrected); I have attached the full pdf.

PS Enterprise steams into Morgan:
Step back in time and explore the history of one of the world's oldest working paddle steamers in a National Museum of Australia display on show at Morgan Maritime Museum on the riverfront, which will run from Sat.18.10 through to late Jan.09
Still Steamin': Commemorating 180 years of PS Enterprise examines the many lives of Enterprise, from its launch on Murray River in 1878, working as a cargo ship, floating store, fishing vessel, houseboat and show boat.
'This special anniversary display reveals the role of steam boats in Australia's transport and trade history and reminds us of the colonial rivalry between Victoria and SA', said National Museum Curator Cinnamon Van Reyk. 'It's also a chance for National Museum to showcase one of its most popular (and oldest) objects, paddlesteamer Enterprise, which is still in working condition'.
The Still Steamin' display, through a range of engaging text panels and images of objects from National Museum's collection, explores the introduction of the paddlesteamer as an important milestone in Australian history.  PS Mary Ann, the first paddlesteamer to successfully ply the Murray was launched in 1853 and within a few years a booming river trade was born. While improved road and rail systems of the 20th century largely ended the use of paddlesteamers for freight, they continued to be used on the Murray-Darling river system as fishing vessels, houseboats and for tourist cruises.  PS Enterprise was acquired by National Museum of Australia in 1984. As part of the museum's national historical collection; it illustrates the paddlesteamer's role in Australia's history to many thousands of visitors each year. Enterprise is staffed by a dedicated crew of volunteers, who ensure it is maintained in good working order and preserve the valuable skills of a bygone era.
The exhibition will be open 7 days per week, 10.00-16.00 most days.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:50:26 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Excelsior

Re: PS Enterprise- question for australian members
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »
I wonder if they're speaking metaphorically...  Maybe there is a display of Enterprise related memorabillia and photos at Morgan, rather than the actual vessel?

Harold H. Duncan

Re: PS Enterprise- question for australian members
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 04:32:51 AM »
Hi all,
Doesn't actually say the boat is in Morgan.

The Still Steamin' display, through a range of engaging text panels and images of objects from the National Museum's collection

I read the article as being a display only, despite the alluring photo.

kiwi