Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
HELP!
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:11:38 AM »
A magazine called "Model Ships and Power Boats" was published by Percival Marshall Publications, and I'm desperately trying to get some issues that I'm missing from my collection - Scanned images would be fine, I don't need to break up someones collection!

Starting in March 1951, was a series of articles on building the "Glen Sannox", my favourite paddler  :bow

I have copies of the first six issues, up to August 1951, but the Glen Sannox article continues after that.... Can anyone provide copies (or scans) of the issues I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline PJ

HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
My DB shows the articles ran from March to August  1951 and it's pretty rare stuff,  but I do know where there's a June issue  although it might not be much good on its own.

----- Original Message -----
   To: books@paddleducks.co.uk (books@paddleducks.co.uk)
   Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 5:11  PM
   Subject: HELP!

A magazine called "Model Ships and Power Boats" was    published by Percival Marshall Publications, and I'm desperately trying to get    some issues that I'm missing from my collection - Sanned images would be fine,    I don't need to break up someones collection!

Starting in March 1951,    was a series of articles on building the "Glen Sannox", may favourite paddler    

I have copies of the first six issues, up to August 1951,    but the Glen Sannox article continues after that.... Can anyone provide copies    (or scans) of the issues I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly    appreciated!

Regards
Eddy

-------------------- m2f    --------------------

Exported by Paddleducks Mail System.

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11557#11557

--------------------    m2f --------------------

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
HELP!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 05:35:27 PM »
Thanks Paul and David,

As I said in my original post, the articles definately run past August 1951 Paul - I have copies of the first six parts of the article, and at the end it says "to be continued" as it does at the end of each issue. By Aug 51 the model only just has it's hull completed, so there must be a good few more in the series....

I'll give TEE Publishing a try David....
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
HELP!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »
Hi PD's & Eddy.... give us a clew [clue].... did that Glen Sannox have a three [3] cylinder horizontal engine .....just reading between those  non descript  :?:  :?:  :?: Scottish lines.. :gather  &  :nah - heaven preserve us........Derek -  :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline PJ

HELP!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:03:48 PM »
Sorry, I should have paid closer attention to the  original post.  My records only show entries for this mag up to December  1953 and I can't see any "Glen Sannox" article after August 1951.  The  only other paddler related article I can see is in July 1953 which was  "Paddlesteamers of the Solent".  It may be the series was never  completed unless the magazine was published beyond December  1953.

Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:35    AM
   Subject: RE: HELP!

Thanks Paul and David,

As I said in my original    post, the articles definately run past August 1951 Paul - I have copies of the    first six parts of the article, and at the end it says "to be continued" as it    does at the end of each issue. By Aug 51 the model only just has it's hull    completed, so there must be a good few more in the series....

I'll give    TEE Publishing a try David....

Regards
Eddy

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11565#11565

Offline kiwimodeller

HELP!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »
Eddie, I have almost all issues from 1949 up to the end of 1953 but there is no further mention of the Glensannox on the contents pages after August 1951. That article begins on page 108 and is continued on page 112 but at the end of the small section on page 112 it does not say "To be continued" as the previous articles do. "To be continued" is written further up the page but that is to do with the article "How to Read a Ships Lines" which takes up most of the page. Perhaps this has confused you? The last bit of the article on P112 is to do with painting and colour schemes so it does appear to be the end of the story, the rest is up to you! I did find Edgar Westbury's design for feathering paddlewheels while skimming through them though. Let me know if I can help further.Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
HELP!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:15:02 PM »
After reading it again your quite correct Ian, the article does stop on page 112 - So my apologies for misleading you Paul!! My fault for reading the final issue after too many cans of the amber nectar last night! ;)

Now it's time to go looking through all the photos I have of the Glen Sannox to see if there are any areas which are unclear....

Offline AlistairD

HELP!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 08:42:08 AM »
She had a two-cylinder compound diagonal engine,.  there is a photo in my book " Glasgow and South Western and other  Steamers"

Alistair

Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:52    AM
   Subject: RE: HELP!

Hi PD's & Eddy.... give us a clew [clue].... did    that Glen Sannox have a three [3] cylinder    horizontal engine .....just reading between    those non descript Scottish lines..    & -    heaven preserve us........Derek -

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11566#11566

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free    Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.18/734 - Release Date:    26/03/2007 14:31
Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland