Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Simple lighting idea for models  (Read 2604 times)

Offline mjt60a

Simple lighting idea for models
« on: December 01, 2006, 10:02:45 AM »
I went to 'Wilkinsons' the other day to get some goldfish food, and noticed they had sets of '20-light LED, battery powered christmas lights' for £2.99.
I bought a couple of 'white' sets for future model use! On closer inspection, they are the smallest LEDs I've ever seen, the ends are flat (not domed as usual) so the light is not concentrated in a narrow beam but visible from all around, and the whole set works on 3 volts from a pair of AA batteries (supplied) A battery box with switch is already attached so the whole thing could just be stuck into a model for instant lighting - though I don't know how long the batteries will last, I'll probably dismantle mine and use them for deck lights, run from a much bigger battery, and possibly in series sets of four for 12 volt operation.... :D
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Walter Snowdon

Lighting.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 08:18:36 PM »
Hi Mick. On the same theme, POUNDLAND do two miniature striplights wired in series, each about 4 inches long with a car cigar lighter plug attached and described as miniature dashboard lights. there is sufficient lead between them to run the length inside a large model and light up fore and aft spaces without major wiring problems, and at 12 volt, what more do you want?!!.  Regards, walter.

Offline RickF

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:15:43 PM »
Just back from Wilkinsons. What Mick forgot to mention is that the £2.99 lights are available in packs of red, blue, green, yellow or white - what a bargain!

Rick

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 03:18:02 AM »
That's right, they are, but I only wanted white ones. I went there again in the week and ALL the white sets were gone, today they only had green and one set of blue left.... I'm thinking I maybe should have got a couple more while they were available (started me thinking about using the LEDs to make a set of those lights they had on waverley about 20 years ago, strung between the masts on showboat cruises.......have to figure out what current 40 lights would draw and how thin the wires could be......)
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)