Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Speed controllers?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Speed controllers?
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:45:52 PM »
I have two Mtroniks Viper Marine 15 speed controllers for my towboat, and in the instructions it says I should disconnect the thin red wire from one of the controllers if using BEC in a twin motor setup....

Does that mean the red wire in the Rx lead? I'm fairly sure that's what I need to do, but I just want to double check - Has anyone got experience of this?
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Speed controllers?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:40:43 PM »
Hi Eddy & all PD’s – I would go back to the manufacturer [Mtroniks] & ask them for their recommendation/confirmation – some 25 years ago I had a quizzical question re R/C set up & a real 30 AMP/hour battery but followed a colleagues advice then watched as the 30 amps melted all wiring & a few R/C pieces & a motor in the process – not nice to witness - Derek    

From: Eddy Matthews [mailto:accessories@paddleducks.co.uk]
 Sent: Thursday, 20 April 2006 6:46 PM
 To: accessories@paddleducks.co.uk
 Subject: Speed controllers?  

I have two Mtroniks Viper Marine 15 speed controllers for my towboat, and in the instructions it says I should disconnect the thin red wire from one of the controllers if using BEC in a twin motor setup....

Does that mean the red wire in the Rx lead? I'm fairly sure that's what I need to do, but I just want to double check - Has anyone got experience of this? <![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>      

Regards
 Eddy

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Exported by Paddleducks Mail System.

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7259#7259

-------------------- m2f --------------------
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Barrie

Speed controllers?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »
Eddy,
Yes - cut the red wire in one of the leads from the ESC to the Rx. If you don't both will attempt to feed the voltage to the Rx - cue blue smoke!

A tip I saw on the MB forum was to obtain a short servo extension lead and cut the red wire in that. This way you can still use the ESC in another boat and benefit from the BEC.

Regards,

Barrie

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Speed controllers?
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 10:21:25 PM »
Thanks guys,

Neat idea about using a servo extension lead Barrie - I'll certainly do that.
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Stu Kerrn Sr

Re: Speed controllers?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 05:53:27 AM »
Quote from: "Eddy Matthews"

Does that mean the red wire in the Rx lead? I'm fairly sure that's what I need to do, but I just want to double check - Has anyone got experience of this?

Eddy I have four Electronise  (U.K.)  (model 43 HVR 7-24 volts 15 Amps )speed controllers on two different boats, two on each boat. On my Lory J. Paddlewheel boat, I have two, when I turn off the power to the TX before the boat everything goes to neutral. On my Imara when I turn off the Tx before the boat everything goes full speed. This was done accidently on the Imara when the battery fell out of my transmitter and the Imara went full speed. I feel these two boats are wired identically but this must not be the case. I feel I don't have dirty wires and signal mixed but I may be mistaken. Any Ideas would be appreciated, no matter how wild. Thanks.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Speed controllers?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 06:07:46 AM »
You should always turn the Tx ON first, then the model - When it comes time to take the model off the water, you should turn the Rx OFF first, then the transmitter LAST.....

So it's Tx on FIRST
then Rx on

Rx off
Tx off LAST

Failure to things in that order will result in the symptoms you describe Stu, unless the speed controllers have a failsafe to return them to neutral when the signal is lost - The Electronize untis do NOT have this failsafe!

Hope that helps?