Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Scale & RC Boat Magazine Premier Issue  (Read 4816 times)

SSMA Bruce

Scale & RC Boat Magazine Premier Issue
« on: January 26, 2006, 10:12:25 AM »

Its here and its everything I expected. There were no surprises in content, but its the content that makes this issue a hit. It is as its title suggests - 100 percent scale boats. No gas, no speed. The emerging RTR classes are represented also.

As a scale modeler, what are you most interested in? For me, its technique and design. I'm not sufficiently challenged with most kits - the boat's construction being handed to me with parts and plans. I'm a scratch builder. Tom Guglielmo showed me how to build a shaft strut without complicated and expensive machine tools.

Rick Eyrich tells us WHY we need to install capacitors on the electric motor and HOW to do it. Glynn Guest explores the WHY and WHEN questions concerning visible crew members for our ships and boats.

We're adults who play with toy boats - whats the point if we can't meet and show off? Regattas and shows are also included. While I don't doubt that he is having fun, Capn Ron needs to turn a buck as well. His sponsors all seem to be contributors to the hobby. I enjoyed the ads as well.

I doubt there is anyone out there who hasn't heard of Dave Merriman. Dave is innovator and without doubt, an expert on building and operating R/C submarines. Its the premier issue and the first example of 'Tubes Forward', Dave's column is on, I presume, building and operating RC subs. Dave may have been a REALLY bad mood when he wrote the opening column.

Dave spent most of the left column daring me to read on and taking the opportunity to vent 20 years worth of frustration. He caught my interest on the right side with some RC history, but that dropped to more venting. I'm an engineer myself and a submarine vet. I understand ballast and trim having lived the real thing. I can relate to 'newbie' encounters where the person wants instant gratification on topics that should take years to master. However, I'm hoping that his next column takes on more technical topics. Ok Dave, you did and still do have my respect. I suck and I'm not worthy. I'm properly humble. Next issue, lets talk subs. Mission number one on the 1:1 scale boats was to keep water out of the people tank. May I suggest you talk about keeping water out of the scale people tank? What is best practice in preventing leaks in the WTC? Why use a cylinder? I now own a 6-foot long Typhoon hull and I want to do some neat stuff with it.

My call? Subscribe. Support this publication. Patronize its advertisers. Its going in the right direction.

towboatjoe

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 02:51:30 PM »
I'm still patiently waiting. They said two weeks ago it was in the mail. I didn't know Kentucky was so far away?

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:34:14 PM »
I'm still waiting too Bruce - I think my copy must be coming on the space shuttle when they next launch, coz airmail should only take 6 days to England.....
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

SSMA Bruce

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:11:07 AM »
Patience, shipmates!  Its worth the wait.

harve202

Problems?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 03:35:27 AM »
Can anyone shed light on why third issue was received three months after it was supposed to have been published? I can speak only for myself and assure publisher of interest and a desire to support their enterprise. I paid for one year and renewal is an option at this time.  :?:

SSMA Bruce

Re: Problems?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 03:39:44 AM »
Quote from: "harve202"
Can anyone shed light on why third issue was received three months after it was supposed to have been published? I can speak only for myself and assure publisher of interest and a desire to support their enterprise. I paid for one year and renewal is an option at this time.  :?:

I cannot.  I won't defend him any longer, either.  This thread be of some interest.
http://ssmana.org/phpbb2b/viewtopic.php?t=157

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 03:43:07 AM »
Your lucky Harvey, I paid for a two year subscription and still haven't received the third issue!!

To say I'm extremely annoyed with the publishers would be the understatment of the decade! I posted a message about it on the SSMANA forum and the editor shot me down in flames - How dare I say I was unhappy on a public forum!

I've just written it off, I have no intention of running around after them any more, all I will say to anyone thinking of taking out a subscription is DON'T BOTHER!
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

NucSub

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 05:22:53 AM »
Based on the response in the published thread, I'll pass.
Blaming anything on growing pains and being non-responsive appears enough to terminate any thoughts of pursuing a subscription.  
Maybe if it lasts a bit in the market and only then if I can see one on a store shelf.