Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Does you know this Book  (Read 3165 times)

Offline scotfriend

Does you know this Book
« on: August 22, 2005, 08:50:23 AM »
Hello does anyone of you know this book,

Titel: Pacific Coastal Liners
Author: Gordon Newell & Joe Williamson
Published: 1959 by Superior Publishing Company, Seattle Washington

All the Color and Stark Drama of the Ships that Steamed offshore from Baja California to Nome.

Most of the photos shows screw steamers but also a few paddlers, the Names are: Columbia, Republic, Ancon, Geo. E. Starr, Saidie and some other paddlers. The photos are not the very best but overall it is an interesting book.

I made a glass fiber and epoxy resin job for a friend and to say thank's he gave this book to me :o  it was found here in Switzerland a few years a go on a flea market.

The same Authors wrote two other book's
1. Pacific Tugboats
2. Pacific Steamboats

Any idea about paddlers in this books?
When i read about the evils of drinking, I decide to give up reading

Offline PJ

Does you know this Book
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 09:59:20 AM »
Hi Hans:

Yes these three are classics of the Pacific Northwest (where I live) but I only have Pacific Steamboats which is a truly excellent book and widely available at US10.00.   I have obtained the other two books from the library although they are also widely available at very resonable prices and make an excellent addition to a Pacific Northwest library.

PJ
Victoria, BC Canada

Waverley

Does you know this Book
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 10:53:51 AM »
Hi Hans

Nice that you mentioned "Pacific Coastal Liners" as I am wondering whether to go for a copy on ebay right now, but as its in the US and postage will be heavy it would be nice to know if its the type of book I would enjoy, as I find the publisher's comment very off-putting

"All the Color and Stark Drama of the Ships that Steamed offshore from Baja California to Nome"

I would be hoping for a proper history, with some evidence of original research, fleet lists and a reasonable amount of detail.

While it is most unwise to believe publishers' "blurb", this one implies a rather sensationalist approach, with an emphasis on human interest stories and reminiscences - not my cup of tea at all.

If you, or anybody else, could provide some guidance in this area I would be very greatful

Regards

David

Offline AlistairD

Does you know this Book
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 06:54:50 AM »

Nice that you mentioned "Pacific Coastal    Liners" as I am wondering whether to go for a copy on ebay right now, but as    its in the US and postage will be heavy it would be nice to know if its the    type of book I would enjoy, as I find the publisher's comment very    off-putting

"All the Color and Stark Drama of the Ships that Steamed    offshore from Baja California to Nome"

I would be hoping for a proper    history, with some evidence of original research, fleet lists and a reasonable    amount of detail.

While it is most unwise to believe publishers'    "blurb", this one implies a rather sensationalist approach, with an emphasis    on human interest stories and reminiscences - not my cup of tea at    all.

If you, or anybody else, could provide some guidance in this area    I would be very greatful

I have just looked throiugh my    copy, which I have not opened for years, and ther appear to be 18    illustrations of paddles steamer's most very small, eight to a page, woth only    two larger ones. The book is 192 pages long and is almost entirely    photos.

The best book for photos of    American coastal paddle steamers, I would say, is Photogrpahis Portraits of    American Ocean Steamships 1850-1850, published by the Steamship Historical    Society of America. It has the best photos I have seen of the giant    wooden-hulled paddle steamers of the Pacific Mail Company, which sailed across    the Pacific and from new York to Panama, and from the other side of the Panama    isthmus to California. Still available new, and sold by the society on EBay,    http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTOGRAPHIC-PORTRAITS-OF-AMERICAN-OCEAN-STEAMSHIPS_W0QQitemZ4566111905QQcategoryZ378QQcmdZViewItem

Alistair

Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Waverley

Does you know this Book
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 05:40:31 AM »
Thank you very much, Alistair for looking out the book & your helpful comments - may not quite be what I am after, but probably worth a low bid.

I'm not solely interested in paddlers (who could be, after KING GEORGE V?), but passenger steam ships and to a lesser extent, motorships in general. What I am trying to find, if possible is "Duckworth & Langmuir" style books on US coastal / inland passenger shipping (also Australia & elsewhere) - concise but detailed regional histories which provide a background for more specific publications. This is a new area for me, hence the questions, as its only since I got access to the net recently that I became aware of what was available.   There's been hundred of books on US shipping - given that I can't buy them all, the problem is picking the right ones to start with.

Thanks again

Regards

David

Offline AlistairD

Does you know this Book
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 08:21:11 AM »
If you want Duckworth and Langmuir style books, the  only ones I can think of are "Great Lakes Ships we Remember", published by the  Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit. There are three thick heavy volumes (5 lb  each) with one ship per page. There is a mix in each volume of passenger ships,  freighters and tugs.
 http://www.mhsd.org/publications/glswr/ has some samples pages
 http://www.lakeboats.com/en-us/dept_14.html details of the books

Alistair

----- Original Message -----
   To: books@paddleducks.co.uk (books@paddleducks.co.uk)
   Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 8:40    PM
   Subject: RE: Does you know this  Book

Thank you very much, Alistair for looking out the book    & your helpful comments - may not quite be what I am after, but probably    worth a low bid.

I'm not solely interested in paddlers (who could be,    after KING GEORGE V?), but passenger steam ships and to a lesser extent,    motorships in general. What I am trying to find, if possible is "Duckworth    & Langmuir" style books on US coastal / inland passenger shipping (also    Australia & elsewhere) - concise but detailed regional histories which    provide a background for more specific publications. This is a new area for    me, hence the questions, as its only since I got access to the net recently    that I became aware of what was available. There's been hundred of books on US    shipping - given that I can't buy them all, the problem is picking the right    ones to start with.

Thanks    again

Regards

David

-------------------- m2f    --------------------

Exported by Paddleducks Mail System.

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4972#4972

--------------------    m2f --------------------

Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Waverley

Does you know this Book
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 09:00:38 AM »
Thanks again, Alastair

David

Offline AlistairD

Does you know this Book
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 02:16:08 AM »
For the Mississippi  and its tributaries there is
 Way's Packet Directory 1848-1994: Passenger  Steamboats of the Mississippi River System Since the Advent of Photography in  Mid-Continent America (Revised)
By Frederick Way, Frederick Packet Directory, 1848-1983 Way, Frederick Way (Compiler)  
Paperback  /  Ohio Univ Pr  /  April  1995  /  0821411063#
 and

and Way's Steam Towboat Directory

Both are very comprehesive, 642 and 350 pages respectively and both are  available from www.Amazon.com

Alistair

From:    Alistair Deayton (alistair@deayton.freeserve.co.uk)
   To: Sent: Wednesday, August 24,    2005 11:18 PM
   Subject: Re: Does you know this  Book

If you want Duckworth and Langmuir style books,    the only ones I can think of are "Great Lakes Ships we Remember", published by    the Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit. There are three thick heavy volumes (5    lb each) with one ship per page. There is a mix in each volume of passenger    ships, freighters and tugs.
   http://www.mhsd.org/publications/glswr/ has some samples pages
   http://www.lakeboats.com/en-us/dept_14.html details of the books

Alistair

To: books@paddleducks.co.uk (books@paddleducks.co.uk)
     Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 8:40      PM
     Subject: RE: Does you know this      Book

Thank you very much, Alistair for looking out the      book & your helpful comments - may not quite be what I am after, but      probably worth a low bid.

I'm not solely interested in paddlers (who      could be, after KING GEORGE V?), but passenger steam ships and to a lesser      extent, motorships in general. What I am trying to find, if possible is      "Duckworth & Langmuir" style books on US coastal / inland passenger      shipping (also Australia & elsewhere) - concise but detailed regional      histories which provide a background for more specific publications. This is      a new area for me, hence the questions, as its only since I got access to      the net recently that I became aware of what was available. There's been      hundred of books on US shipping - given that I can't buy them all, the      problem is picking the right ones to start with.

Thanks      again

Regards

David

-------------------- m2f      --------------------

--------------------      m2f --------------------

Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Offline AlistairD

Does you know this Book
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 06:06:32 PM »
Also, http://members.tripod.com/~Write4801/riverboats.html#boats

has a complete historical list of Riverboats on the  Mississippi system, and some on other US Rivers

Alistair

there is
Way's Packet Directory 1848-1994: Passenger    Steamboats of the Mississippi River System Since the Advent of Photography in    Mid-Continent America (Revised)
By Frederick Way, Frederick Packet Directory, 1848-1983 Way, Frederick Way (Compiler)
Paperback  /  Ohio Univ    Pr  /  April 1995  /     0821411063#
and

and Way's Steam Towboat Directory    

Both are very comprehesive, 642 and 350 pages respectively and    both are available from www.Amazon.com

Alistair

-----    Original Message -----
                    :            From: Alistair          Deayton (alistair@deayton.freeserve.co.uk (alistair@deayton.freeserve.co.uk))          
To: Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 11:18          PM
Subject: Re: Does you know          this Book

If you want Duckworth and Langmuir style books, the          only ones I can think of are "Great Lakes Ships we Remember", published          by the Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit. There are three thick heavy          volumes (5 lb each) with one ship per page. There is a mix in each          volume of passenger ships, freighters and tugs.
http://www.mhsd.org/publications/glswr/ has some          samples pages
http://www.lakeboats.com/en-us/dept_14.html details          of the books

Alistair

:                        ----- Original Message -----
From: Waverley (books@paddleducks.co.uk (books@paddleducks.co.uk))                
To: books@paddleducks.co.uk (books@paddleducks.co.uk)                (books@paddleducks.co.uk (books@paddleducks.co.uk))                
Sent: Wednesday, August                24, 2005 8:40 PM
Subject: RE: Does you know this                Book

Thank you very much, Alistair for looking out                the book & your helpful comments - may not quite be what I am                after, but probably worth a low bid.

I'm not solely                interested in paddlers (who could be, after KING GEORGE V?), but                passenger steam ships and to a lesser extent, motorships in                general. What I am trying to find, if possible is "Duckworth &                Langmuir" style books on US coastal / inland passenger shipping                (also Australia & elsewhere) - concise but detailed regional                histories which provide a background for more specific                publications. This is a new area for me, hence the questions, as                its only since I got access to the net recently that I became                aware of what was available. There's been hundred of books on US                shipping - given that I can't buy them all, the problem is picking                the right ones to start with.

Thanks                again

Regards

David

--------------------                m2f --------------------

Exported by Paddleducks Mail                System.

--------------------                m2f --------------------

Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

-------------------- m2f    --------------------

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4985#4985

--------------------    m2f --------------------

Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Offline scotfriend

Pacific Coastel Liners
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 01:19:30 AM »
Hello folks,

today a read some small parts of this book and as far as i came it is truly a book full of story's about all the sea disasters and the companys they operate the west coast. But there isn't a fleet list.

I hope this help's, regards Hans
When i read about the evils of drinking, I decide to give up reading

Waverley

Does you know this Book
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 08:29:31 AM »
Thanks, Hans -

There's been no other bids yet, so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Regards

David