Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Blockade Runner "Colonel Lamb"  (Read 5102 times)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: Blockade Runner "Colonel Lamb"
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2021, 11:21:39 PM »
Thomas......

Without me going back & searching your posts, your previous build of PS China I am sure uses the same Regner 12 x 36 twin plant........how does the hull sizing & displacement of China compare to Colonel Lamb?

Memory is fading, but I think your PS Hope used an alternate 14 x18 twin Regner plant??

Derek
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:30:21 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2021, 06:27:50 PM »
Hi Derek,

for the "China" I bought in her time a new 12/36 with teflon control - and working pistons and some further improvements. The displacement is a little more than 15 kg. "Hope" with her 14/18 Regner engine with gear reduction of 2,2 : 1 has a displacement of 14 kg and the C. L. will have little more than 11,5 kg, may be 12 kg. "Hope" with her sharp lines is a fast runner and I expect same to C. L. with her equal hull.

Thomas

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:39 PM »
Thanks Thomas

.....& yes it is imteresting as all 3 hulls with not too differing lines/displacement & +/- power would have speeds that could have been relative, but also altered or differing by the paddle/diameter & blade surface area

Having said all this, each is not a racing machine & just a vessel of beauty under steam in the water  :whistle

Derek 
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2021, 08:35:26 PM »
I will sell the Regner 12/36 and use another engine for the boat, probably the Graham TVRIA. The Regner with 3,2 kg is very heavy and there are still problems with reversing.

Thomas

Offline william stafford

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2021, 12:36:34 AM »
i found the TVR 1 a good engine, we had it in a 1100mm steam tug w centre flue on gas, about 15/25 psi under load, and the 75mm prop threw a rooster tail out the back of the tug!!

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2021, 06:26:44 AM »
Yes William, the TVRIA is a reliable engine with sufficient reversing. I have four ones - three in paddlesteamers, one in a steam yacht.
I`ve ordered the ball bearing one.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »
While I`m waiting for my ordered Graham engine, the boiler/burner area was improved and finished. The flame will be enlarged or dimished corresponding to steam production with Regner RC gas cock. All is absolutely steam- and gas tight.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2021, 10:15:20 PM »
New Graham TVRIA engine finished and converted for paddle use. The weight of this engine is only 650 g - compared with the Regner 12/36 with 3,4 kg. Bore and stroke are 12,6 mm by 15,8 mm - so there must be a gear reduction to paddle shaft by 38 : 15 or 2,6 : 1. The conversion was done in the same way like my 3 further TVRIA in paddlers "Marchioness of Lorne", "Mindon" and "Presto".
Tomorrow I will make a steam up.

Thomas

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2021, 02:09:05 PM »
Hi Thomas.......these straight cut spur gears in the 38 tooth to 15 tooth look very interesting

May I ask where these are from, as the Product from SPDI in USA are very, very expensive  :ranting

So in image 3558, we see the generous elongated mounting slot....do you just careful find the appropriate engagement between the gears & lock the engine up?

Again I am guessing,,...what are the gear widths?
------------------

My 9 tooth : 48 tooth provided a 4.76: 1 reduction for my Saito Y2DR which was too high :shoot, so I have ordered a 16 tooth chain pinion  which will then be 16 to 48 = 2.66:1 reduction which I believe will provide a more realistic or lower engine speed

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2021, 05:43:52 AM »
The sun shines a little bridghter, the birds sings a little louder and the life day seems more serene- when the steamboat is functionating well!

Today I made a steam test in water, it was unexpected, but all functions of boiler and engine were ok. Yesterday show some minor problems - untightness of steam regulator, some adjustments of engine gear was nercessary - but no difficult problems. Deplacement of navigable model is only 9350 gramm. But in cause of the heavy boiler the model shows at first bow heavy, so one iron bar of 600 gramm weight was put nearby the stern. Deplacement now is nearly exact 10 kg, which is much less than the "Hope" with her same hull and 14 kg.
Derek - I made an mistake - the two pairs of cogwheels has 48 and 18 teeth, so the gear reduction is 8 : 3. The brass cogwheels are from GHW Modellbauversand, price of all was about 45.- Euro.
Minimum pressure to move the engine in water is 0,9 bar, with a little bit more than 2 bar the power is fantastic, like in the pictures.

Main point of changing the heavy Regner 12/36 to Graham TVRIA wasn`t the weight but the much better and more reliably reversing of Graham engine. The big boiler is a little bit oversized for the Graham, but I presume a running time between 40 - 60 minutes with water content. Dimension of flame can be changed by R/C from minimum until maximum with Regner R/C gas cock.

Thomas