Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: 1920's Replica  (Read 9280 times)

Offline tonyh

1920's Replica
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:32:14 PM »
Hi,
   Anyone interested in seeing the progress re: my replica 1920's yacht  'Jenny'. Came as a free plan in Model Boats 1988. Designed by Douglas McGhee.

1) Balsa cut to plan.

2) Keel building.

3) Progress to date.

4) Progress to date.

5) Finished item (from Model Boats Mag).

Thanks for looking.
Tony

Offline kiwimodeller

1920's Replica
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
Lovely shape Tony. What are the dimensions? Are you going to R/C it? I have just ordered a 48" J class hull with the idea of building either a scale replica J class (see my other posting) or a gaff rigged yacht rather than build it as a racing boat Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline Bob Golder

1920's Replica
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 07:27:34 AM »
Beutifull Hull Tony, it should certainly sail well.  When it's complete why not bring it across to Darlington and have a sail with us.
Cheers from Bob Golder

Offline tonyh

Re: 1920's Replica
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:14:02 PM »
'Jenny', gets a long awaited test in the households 'testing tank'.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:23:45 PM by tonyh »

Red_Hamish

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 03:28:51 AM »
Hello all, well that is a rather nice looking yacht. Not normally interested  in the rag powered ones but could be made to change my mind by these classic designs. I also like the "J" class and the Norwegian Dragen class from a slightly later period.

cheers

~Jim

Offline tonyh

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 06:25:10 AM »
Jim,
     Glad you like the design, the radio is currently in the process of being installed. The sails have arrived from 'Housemartin'. Would like to try her on the the water soon, but the local council have drained the lake. These works will probably take some months as they are trying to eliminate Blue Algae.
     An alternative water is available, but as the reeds on the other side, give me cause for concern with such a small craft, I will probably have to wait, for the work to be complete. It is reassuring to have concrete all around.

Note:- the yachts designer Douglas McGhee, is also from Scotland.

Thanks Tony.

Offline tonyh

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »
The finished yacht, not yet tested in the water. The local council have drained the lake to eliminate blue algae.

Offline kno3

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »
Very elegant boat. does it have r/c too?

Offline tonyh

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 12:02:08 AM »
Hi,

2 channel Hitec 40mhz, 1 channel for rudder and 1 for the overdeck sail arm. Unfortunately I can't say how well it works, due to the lake problem as previously stated. I do have access to another lake, but the reeds on the other side give me cause for concern (might not get her back!!).
It was quite a squeeze to fit the radio as the yacht is only 640mm long.

Thanks for enquiring, Tony

Red_Hamish

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 05:18:31 AM »
Hi Tony, looking rather  elegant and sleek well done there ona beautiful build. Have you sought out other boating lakes around you yet? If not then why not add your local one to the database on www.modelboatlakes.co.nr or look there for an alternative close to hand. When you do get her sailing we'll all want to see the photos.

cheers

Jim

Offline tonyh

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 05:39:56 AM »
Thanks Jim,

That is an excellent website. I have added it to my favourites. Will look forward to adding photo's when she is in the water. Unfortunately I am not a good traveller, following a health problem some years ago.

Thanks again, Tony.