Forum > Research

SWPS Corowa (Murray River, Australia)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Spankbucket:
Any idea what those boxes are for? Fish maybe or fruit/veggy?

derekwarner_decoy:
Well, we have quantities of short sawn timber packs that could certainly be destined to be nailed together into storage/transport box's

The question of for what goods remains unknown, however the box's would I think have been assembled at a location close to the source of the product

My earliest memory of bulk vegetables being transported and displayed in Vegetable Co-operative, were in robust woven cane baskets.......

Every Australian home garage in the 50's & 60's would have a few wooden Banana box's used as storage containers.....many a task in the garage or garden was with Kids sitting on Banana box's & splinters in your backside

Freash fish from the trawlers was also landed in slightly smaller sized robust woven cane baskets........when displayed at the Fish Co-op on beds of ice behind glass trays??

Derek

PS...the woven cane basket below is listed as 60cm x 70cm [2' x 2 1/4'] ...so are about the shape & size from my memory

derekwarner_decoy:
Reading more........when this snap was taken [1909?], Australia was producing canned Fruit........

courtesy of Google......

"In late 1892 Scottish immigrant George T Proudfoot started the Mildura Fruit
Preserving Company (MFPC). In a villa site in San Mateo Avenue, Mildura,
MFPC assembled a canning works from the most modern appliances
available. The plant was capable to producing 15 hundredweights (just over
50kg) of canned fruit a day, along with 15 hundredweights of jam"

So, revised next best guess is what appears to be assembled wooden box [with printed text on each box] close by the steamer were box's of canned fruit [Mildura area], the tied slats of wooden timbers in the foreground & to the right are for the assembly of wooden box's for the same or similar usage??

It is well documented, that Paddlers transported produce from inner lands and centres to Railheads for rail transportation to Cities [Melbourne] in this case 

Derek

Spankbucket:
That sounds very plausible!

I liked the details of the baskets too...these look just like the traditional ones used in North Sea fishing ports, like Whitby, in the 19c. See: http://www.sutcliffe-gallery.co.uk/photo_3200321.html

and: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/photograph-by-frank-meadow-sutcliffe-of-women-sorting-the-news-photo/90760989

Cracker:
I don't Mr Google is too familiar with good old Imperial weights and measures and, in any event, the production of 50kg of tinned fruit and 50kg of jam per day doesn't seem very much.

15 cwt (or hundredweights as written above) to us oldies is what it says - 15 cwt or of a ton!

For others 15 cwt is roughly the same as 763kg, not 50kg!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version