Forum > Research

SWPS Corowa (Murray River, Australia)

<< < (3/3)

derekwarner_decoy:
Well Cracker, I have absolute faith in Mr Google as being the ultimate source of information to we Humble folk.......just a pitty some of the 'learned' writing the posts get some units  :porkies in that vein

In fairness, I believe our Members   :gathering were interested in the contents in the preserves tins of fruit in the wooden box's

Derek

Walter Snowdon:
Hi folks= my guess is still boxes. In the late forties early fifties I lived on a farm/ market garden  and I remember lots of tinned goods - fruit etc- coming from the commonwealth and spain in wooden boxes. I think the reasoning was that wooden boxes were strong to withstand the manual loading and unloading from ships and lorries etc on their long journeys. As a boy I found this box timber to be of good quality and PERFECT for model making and fretwork! Remember, sea trips were long and slow  and there was no containers or bulk carrier trains and lorries. Regards, Walter.

Steven S:
I have another picture of similar boxes, but it doesn't clear much up though.

Roderick Smith:
I'm fully with the packing-crate theory.  Nobody uses sawn timber for fuel (except for today, when tourist paddlesteamers use mill offcuts to avoid depleting forests).

Enclosed, a modern photo stepping back in time.
The Goolwa - Port Elliot railway (horse worked) was built in 1854 to connect the river to the sea.  The port was unsuitable, and the railway was extended to Victor Harbor, and upgraded for locomotive working.  Meanwhile, Morgan had tapped most of the river trade, railed to Port Adelaide.  Murray Bridge had rail to Adelaide, so the milk traffic collected by riverboat was processed there and railed.

To mark the 150th anniversary, PS Industry voyaged from Renmark, carrying Riverland produce:
* Angoves wine in bottles in shallow crates, probably with straw dunnage, from Renmark.
* Chaff, threshed on vintage machinery at Loxton Vintage Village, in bags.
* Oranges in slatted crates, from Waikerie.
PS Oscar W collected wool bales from Milang.
The cargo was transferred to a special train, which paused at Middleton to collect bagged flour, milled there.
At Port Elliot, a horse dray took the cargo to the waterfront, and surf-rescue boats lightered it to sailing ship One and All, standing safely well off shore.

040515Sa-04-PS_Industry-Angoves_wine-RSmith-ss.jpg

In recent years, one of the insect pests which came to Australia was believed to have travelled in the wood of packing crates, not the fruit being carried.

Roderick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version