Forum > Live steam

Steam whistle

(1/1)

kiwimodeller:
Hi, I have recently acquired a Cheddar steam whistle. Can anybody tell me if this has to be mounted verticle? It is quite a large item and it would look out of place on the outside of my narrow steam launch but the only way I can hide it would be to mount it horizontal and I am worried that any condensing steam would fill it with water. Any advise welcome. Thanks, Ian.

derekwarner_decoy:
Hi PD's - Ian - I understand your concerns re out of scale sizing of the Cheddar steam whistle & have been experimenting with computer modeling of a saxophone reed scrunched up in the boiler relief valve piping [3/72" inside diameter which is very, very, very small], so naturally the shaping of the reed is critical -  but to date I cannot get a realistic :music from it

I am sure the design of the original Cheddar product is for vertical installation, but suggest three options

1) advertise on E-Bay @ x 10 of your purchase price - some fool will buy it
2) melt it down as scrap ballast
3) offer it back to Stuart Turner [UK] as a collectors item @ X 200 of your purchase price + freight + insurance

When I reflect upon my thoughts I think option 3) may be the best - Derek

zubi:

--- Quote from: "kiwimodeller" ---Hi, I have recently acquired a Cheddar steam whistle. Can anybody tell me if this has to be mounted verticle? It is quite a large item and it would look out of place on the outside of my narrow steam launch but the only way I can hide it would be to mount it horizontal and I am worried that any condensing steam would fill it with water. Any advise welcome. Thanks, Ian.
--- End quote ---

Hi Ian, On live steam locomotives whistles are always mounted horizonal. I do not
see any reason why the Cheddar marine  whistle should be mounted vertically. Just
make sure that the opening faces down so that any condensed water will flow out
from the resonator. I am assuming that the whistle is similar in shape to this one:
http://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/cheddar10246L.JPG
Good luck and happy whistling;^)), Zubi

kiwimodeller:
THanks for the replies, it is indeed the item shown in Zubi's link. I will give it a try in the horizontal position (the whistle that is) and if it does not work or adds too much water to the bilges it will just have to go on to one of the other boats. I have spent too much time this week reading Paddleducks postings and have run out of time to fit it and change over the radio to the four channel set for this weekends Armistice Day celebrations sailing demonstration so it will have to wait until the next outing now. Thanks again, Cheers, Ian.

kiwimodeller:
Well I gave up and put a Saito whistle in the Lady Sarah (which has a Saito V4 engine and a Cheddar Puffin boiler so either would have been correct) worked by the Cheddar valve. All seems to work fne, the sound is a little shrill but will do and at least the whistle is a dinky little one that looks just right standing up behind the cabin. The Cheddar whistle can go in the Peggy where there is plenty of room. Cheers, Ian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version