Forum > General discussion (Large)

Jessie II (a Bolger Tennessee)

<< < (2/9) > >>

thewharfonline:
The learner driver book makes more sense...there seems to be a whole lot more in the boat book....and nothing about 'driving a boat is like playing a ball game' like in the car book (bah stupid car book!)

The NSW book is much better...easier to read...less 'mass amounts of info'

But as I still reside in Vic for the moment the vic one is more important. A group of my mates are all going to get it so we can go houseboating!

Roderick Smith:
The material and sample tests are available at
www.marinesafety.vic.gov.au
The rules are fairly international, and this would be worthwhile reading for any Paddleducker
The full relevant law and regulations are at:
www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au

The test consists of 20 multiple-choice questions; the pass mark is either 17 or 18 out of 20.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
(and a licensed boat operator as well as a purser)

Roderick Smith:
Wed.10.10.  I retrieved the boat from maintenance and modification, including the fitting of rollers on the trailer.
Launching, at Blanchetown, was much easier.
The pool of lock 1 (Randell lock) provided plenty of depth and easy cruising, but I had launched 3 h late and was pushing to reach Morgan in daylight (just achieved, at 18.45).
Along the way I saw PV Hebe moored (at 302 or 304 km).  I didn't pause for a photo.
Thurs.11.10.  I am heading for a 15.00 locking at lock 2 (Waikerie lock) this afternoon, then on to Waikerie for 17.00.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Roderick Smith:
I have had more than the usual number of conversations about my boat during this cruise.  An article on it appeared in this month's Australian Amateur Boatbuilder magazine <www.boatbuilder.com.au>.

Thurs.11.10.  I left Morgan at  11.30, went through lock 2 at 15.15, and arrived at Waikerie  at about 17.00.  The wind was strong, and the locking solo was tricky: still I didn't hit the rough concrete walls.  The restaurant aboard Murray River Queen wasn't trading on Thursday night.  I went to the pub.

Fri.12.10.  7.30 start, strong wind, 0.5 m waves, but the hull glided through them smoothly.
Overland Corner 11.30-13.00.  I lunched at the historic stone hotel, built in 1859.  The 1956 flood had come half way up a wall.
Back to Waikerie in 3.5 h again.  I dined with the owner of Solway, a Mundoo II (an update of the Tennessee design).

Sat.13.10.  6.40 start for the double journey, 106 km to  Blanchetown.  I did it 11.5 h, locking at 8.15 (no wind, an easy drop), with a 2 h lunch break at Morgan (internet not open), and a 30 min break at a floating riverside hotel.

Boats seen:
PV Incredible is at the Blanchetown marina where I am moored.
PV Hebe, at 304 km
SWPV Gypsy Ellen: just below Cadell.
PV Murray River Queen, at Waikerie.
PV Akuna Amphibious, moored at Akuna Homestead.

Sun.14.10.  I drove into Adelaide and back, for the celebrations for the extension of the tram from Victoria Square to North Tce.
Mon.15.10.  Out of the water.  I left the boat with friends at Waikerie, then continued home via Mallee pub photography.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Roderick Smith:
I passed Globe Hotel while heading upriver, and assumed that it was just the landing platform for a hotel out on the main road.
Later I was told that it is a floating hotel (in the style of restaurants in Thailand and Cambodia).
As I came downriver on Saturday, the proprietor was aboard, so I called in.
Strictly, it isn't a hotel: it is a private joke.  We spent a pleasant 30 min chatting, while the owner shouted me to a can of beer, and showed me the toilet built in an unroofed burnt-out tree stump.  I still reached Blanchetown for 18.00 (ie still daylight), having left Waikerie at 6.40, and spent 10-15 min in lock 2 (the gates are slow), 2 h at Morgan and 30 min at 'Globe Hotel'.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version