Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: The P.S.Medway Queen  (Read 3811 times)

lenknight

The P.S.Medway Queen
« on: February 20, 2005, 12:20:22 AM »
:(
Now we have a section devoted to ships worthy of preservation, which is most welcome, I feel I must put in a plug for project that has taken quite a chunk out of my life, some twenty years up to now of active indulgence.
I refer to the paddle steamer ‘Medway Queen’, know as ‘The Heroine of Dunkirk’ now really at the crossroads for her survival, after two rejects for funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. A possible lifeline has been extended from them for stabilisation of the hull alone. This offer will be taken up, after the possible gaining of the £50.000 that can be granted for surveying and conservation plan relevant to the application, then we can apply for a possible 2 million pounds for this smaller project.
Sadly, I put little faith in this being gain from the Heritage Lottery Fund, as they seem to be past masters at the’ Stalling Game’.
If anyone is a plain winner from this system, it has to be Consultants to be sure.
The Medway Queen Preservation Society will have spent some Sixty to Seventy Thousand Pounds by the end of this third attempt on Consultants alone.
Len Knight.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
The P.S.Medway Queen
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 05:47:37 AM »
Thanks for that Len,

What is the condition of the Medway Queen currently? Does she need a total rebuild, hull, engines, boilers, paddlewheels, udating of equipment etc etc?

Any chance of some photos to show her condition, so those of us who haven't had a chance to visit her can get a better idea of what work is required?

Regards
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

lenknight

Plight of the Medway Queen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 02:25:05 AM »
The history and plight of the Medway Queen can be seen on the official website at www.medwayqueen.co.uk that should save a lot of time and writing on this site.
However at present the stability of the ship leaves a lot to be desired, leaving the few to struggle for the last twenty years to even retain a hull that is floatable, after many sinking,
Albeit receiving encouraging noises from the powers to be this has not been backed up by positive action.
My opinion is that the hull will need a complete rebuild, the engine at the moment is still restorable, being tenderly look after by a group of dedicated members, that have made it their project to make this possible.
We have many other irreplaceable parts now safely store on site. Sadly we lost some of our memorabilia owing to pure vandalism by fire just recently on site.
If nothing else we also have a team that have vast experience in raising sunken vessels inshore, we have had to do this five times in my estimation.
Our active members mostly old age pensioners, seem gluttons for punishment, by gritting their teeth any carrying on; you may liken this to the ‘Dunkirk Spirit’, which sadly seem lacking today.
I will see what photos I can find that may convey the plight of our paddler, if able to load up.
But to be sure, time is fast running out for this last of its type, in more ways than one.
Len Knight :(