Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Blockade Runner "Colonel Lamb"  (Read 4998 times)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: Blockade Runner "Colonel Lamb"
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2021, 11:21:39 PM »
Thomas......

Without me going back & searching your posts, your previous build of PS China I am sure uses the same Regner 12 x 36 twin plant........how does the hull sizing & displacement of China compare to Colonel Lamb?

Memory is fading, but I think your PS Hope used an alternate 14 x18 twin Regner plant??

Derek
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:30:21 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2021, 06:27:50 PM »
Hi Derek,

for the "China" I bought in her time a new 12/36 with teflon control - and working pistons and some further improvements. The displacement is a little more than 15 kg. "Hope" with her 14/18 Regner engine with gear reduction of 2,2 : 1 has a displacement of 14 kg and the C. L. will have little more than 11,5 kg, may be 12 kg. "Hope" with her sharp lines is a fast runner and I expect same to C. L. with her equal hull.

Thomas

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:39 PM »
Thanks Thomas

.....& yes it is imteresting as all 3 hulls with not too differing lines/displacement & +/- power would have speeds that could have been relative, but also altered or differing by the paddle/diameter & blade surface area

Having said all this, each is not a racing machine & just a vessel of beauty under steam in the water  :whistle

Derek 
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2021, 08:35:26 PM »
I will sell the Regner 12/36 and use another engine for the boat, probably the Graham TVRIA. The Regner with 3,2 kg is very heavy and there are still problems with reversing.

Thomas

Offline william stafford

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2021, 12:36:34 AM »
i found the TVR 1 a good engine, we had it in a 1100mm steam tug w centre flue on gas, about 15/25 psi under load, and the 75mm prop threw a rooster tail out the back of the tug!!

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2021, 06:26:44 AM »
Yes William, the TVRIA is a reliable engine with sufficient reversing. I have four ones - three in paddlesteamers, one in a steam yacht.
I`ve ordered the ball bearing one.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »
While I`m waiting for my ordered Graham engine, the boiler/burner area was improved and finished. The flame will be enlarged or dimished corresponding to steam production with Regner RC gas cock. All is absolutely steam- and gas tight.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2021, 10:15:20 PM »
New Graham TVRIA engine finished and converted for paddle use. The weight of this engine is only 650 g - compared with the Regner 12/36 with 3,4 kg. Bore and stroke are 12,6 mm by 15,8 mm - so there must be a gear reduction to paddle shaft by 38 : 15 or 2,6 : 1. The conversion was done in the same way like my 3 further TVRIA in paddlers "Marchioness of Lorne", "Mindon" and "Presto".
Tomorrow I will make a steam up.

Thomas

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2021, 02:09:05 PM »
Hi Thomas.......these straight cut spur gears in the 38 tooth to 15 tooth look very interesting

May I ask where these are from, as the Product from SPDI in USA are very, very expensive  :ranting

So in image 3558, we see the generous elongated mounting slot....do you just careful find the appropriate engagement between the gears & lock the engine up?

Again I am guessing,,...what are the gear widths?
------------------

My 9 tooth : 48 tooth provided a 4.76: 1 reduction for my Saito Y2DR which was too high :shoot, so I have ordered a 16 tooth chain pinion  which will then be 16 to 48 = 2.66:1 reduction which I believe will provide a more realistic or lower engine speed

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au