Forum > Sailing craft

Junkit

<< < (3/3)

kiwimodeller:
Finally got to get to the back of the shed today and found the old mags. October 1950 Model Ships and Powerboats has a general article about Chinese Junks with line sketches of the various varieties but no plans or dimensions. 1951 January and February issues have "Notes on building a model of the Crooked Stern Junk".There are some scale drawings but no proper plans or instructions. I do not have a scanner but if anybody wants a copy I could photocopy them and mail them to someone who can post them on the site. Send me a PM with an address. Incidently the centre pages of the Feb issue have photos of the P.S.Shanklin and the P.S.Britannia plus dimensions etc.

Walter Snowdon:
Mike Mayhew at WAVERLEY MODELS (one of our long time subscribers) does a large one piece fibreglass hull for an impressively large junk with plans (at a guess about 40 1nches (1 metre) long with plan. I saw one complete about a week ago which looked pretty good. Just got home, so I will look up details in his catalogue and post them when I can. Regards, Walter.

Walter Snowdon:
Further to the above- Waverley models fibreglass junk hull is 1/24th scale model of a large three masted Hangchow Trader, 57 inches long with moulded in detail, so it is large and a lovely sailer. Hull and plan costs £80 plus postage which isnt bad for a hull of that size. Designed for 2 channel radio. Regards, Walter.

Walter Snowdon:
Just spoken to Mike at Waverley models, He is just finishing the plans for an all wood easily built SAMPANG, two   masted junk. I have seen the prototype- its a very pretty  little thing, 30 inches long with a bulb keel and looks to be a good sailer. Ring Mike on 01275 546772 for details.  Regards, Walter.

Broder Incertus:

--- Quote from: "Walter Snowdon" ---Just spoken to Mike at Waverley models, He is just finishing the plans for an all wood easily built SAMPANG, two   masted junk. I have seen the prototype- its a very pretty  little thing, 30 inches long with a bulb keel and looks to be a good sailer. Ring Mike on 01275 546772 for details.  Regards, Walter.
--- End quote ---

Definitely interesting; more so than the Hangchow Trader, since I'm rather logistically challenged (lacking a car).

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version