Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: A MacBRayne Album  (Read 3535 times)

Offline AlistairD

A MacBRayne Album
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:53:04 AM »
Just published is A MacBrayne Album by Alistair Deayton and Iain Quinn, published by Amberley Publishing.

This is a 128pp paperback with a 32pp colour section. At the core of the book are copies of a collection of glass slides, originally compiled by Capt Alex Rodger, which were donated to Iain. These are mainly previously unpublished photos of MacBrayne steamers from pre-war years. To this is added a selection of timetable covers, notes of journeys around 1910 by C L D Duckworth, mini biographies of James Burns, David Hutcheson and David MacBrayne from contemporary publications, images of a MacBrayne luggage label, a collection of MacBrayne tickets, early adverts from 1868 and more. Rare photos include a couple of colour shots of McCallum Orme's HEBRIDES In her final year, 1955 and a series of LOCHINVAR in her various funnel permutations
It is a very full book and I am sure will be of interest to everybody interested in the shipping of the Clyde and West Highlands in the pre-car ferry era.

I am sure it will be available at the normal bookshops, although I have not checked.Copies will be for sale at the Clyde River Steamer Club, Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and West Highland Steamer club meetings this month
Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Red_Hamish

Re: A MacBRayne Album
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »
Hello all, a welcome and worthy subject Alistair. I have looked at the publishers website but the new book doen't appear to be on there yet. You may have given us all a great sneak preview  ;) If anyone want to contact the publisher their telephone number is  or alternatively  the link to their web-shop is

http://www.amberleybooks.com/shop/page/19?shop_param=shop_overview_pager%3D2%26cid%3D11%26

cheers

Jim

sandystrone

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:05:23 AM »
Santa Claus brought me a copy of A MACBRAYNE ALBUM.

Another gem of a read from Alistair - keep them coming!           Sandy

Offline djcf

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:03:42 AM »
Agreed, I got a copy also, some fantastic photos in there, in fact one even solved a mystery about window positions for my Lochiel model  :D