Forum > General discussion (Large)

Basics

(1/1)

thewharfonline:
Ok so basics are becomming a common issue in regards to the building of these boats so let's discuss what the basics are so that next time I visit my boat or James works on his or someone else starts building we can discuss what is needed and work it out.

My thinking is that the basics are:
Line Plan
Length of Hull
Beam Of Hull
Draught
Displacement
Weight Distribution
Speed

Then that turns into:
Engine power
Engine size
Type of Engine
Diametre of wheels
RPM's
Amount of floats needed
Location of wheels

What do we think?
What needs adding on?
Let's cover the basics! As the saying goes!

anth:
sean it looks good to me.... :bravo

Roderick Smith:
With my applied mathematics and engineering background, I am trying to get up to speed with these advance-design aspects (paddleboats and railway steam locos are surprisingly similar).  Enclosed, a photo of the stately Tamara Rae.  The owners have a large boat, with room for a garage on the lower deck.  However, it is slower than most other boats (despite having a large and fuel-hungry engine).  On the Randell-Cadell run, TR left Swan Hill a day ahead of the mob, then got overtaken.  It passed through Torrumbarry lock a day after the others, and caught up at the final-night layover to be part of the triumphal entry into Echuca.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

paddlesteamerman1:
Sean, those are what the basics are, and that is all I have been thinking of is the basics,
Once you get the hull up and floating then think of engines and paddles and stuff like that...
And I am still considering getting the hull going, making it look nice and then putting paddles on it and if it doesnt suit sell the boat for a lot more than I bought it and try and get another one and start again!!
For me the calculations are very important but so is trial and error!!
I dont want to slap bang a boat together but trying out your ideas practically allows you to see them before you decide on them...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version