Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Smoke generator?  (Read 33022 times)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Re: Smoke generator?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »
Hi PD's.....many years ago Sandy [prior to my steam engine] I purchased a small 12 V gear pump [automotive windscreen washer] ... :hammer...up a copper imitation boiler with BBQ heat beads....then with the aide of a 555 timer via RC squited pulses of used diesel engine lube oil onto the hot BBQ beads

:great clouds of black smoke but certain people didn't like it  :gathering...... :ranting :shhh....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 11:45:55 PM »
"3 in 1 oil is a lot cheaper than Graupner distillate"
We discovered that Varsol and Baby Oil 50/50% works like the comercial distillate.
Regards,
Gerald
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Walter Snowdon

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 01:20:36 AM »
 Hi Derek, I didnt understand how you heat the barbeque beads or am I missing the point somewhere?. Could you do a sketch as most of the time a simple drawing saves a lot of words!. Regards, walter.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 06:14:35 AM »
Hi PD's...Walter...in OZ.... the land of BBQ's...we have fire starter blocks..which are a white smokeless & odourless & burn with great propensity for say 10 minutes...these were supported in a S/S mesh basket & in turn ignite the BBQ heat beads which then glow for approx 30 minutes

I should have added the whole process was aided with a few modifications to my wifes hair dryer fan motor to provide a forced draft to the burner....... :sorry

Just thinking ....the fire started blocks were called 'Little Lucifiers'......& the BBQ heat beads are a compressed carbon composition about 1/3 the size of a cake of soap.....the just glow red & are also them selves smokeless & odourless .....Derek
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:58:49 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline chipmonk

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 08:19:54 PM »
Hi Guys.
This system sounds like a similar one that we used to use in our club a few years ago. A metal tube just with a diameter just smaller than your funnel with the lower end covered with mesh. Put a smouldering piece of the carbon hand warmer stick, the type used by anglers and out door types. Cut a small piece of barbecue fire lighter block, the white waxy plastic type. Drop it in the tube and voilĂ  instant smoke. But do not do it indoors, no really, DO NOT DO IT INDOORS. It stinks! This method went out of favour with our club for that reason. We now use incense sticks. Not so productive but far more pleasant to use.
If any one tries this method  let us know how you get on.
Cheers Chipmonk.
"While you're here, can you just"