Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Sound generators?  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 04:43:58 AM »
As a follow up to the chat about using a tape cassette to record sounds for use in models, Towboat Joe sent me the following link that might be of interest.... Quite few steamboat whistles that you can hear in MP3 and Real Audio formats.

http://www.steamboats.org/favorites/tom-greene-letter.html
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Peter Webster

Sound generators?
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 10:40:28 PM »
Eddy,
         Just as follow up to the sound unit on my Capt Sturt.Using the cassette walkman unit I found that the magnetic play head on the walkman also, quite effectively picked up the motor sound and played that thru the amplifier also. I got to thinking about this and decided to try an MP3 player, problem solved only sound that comes thru the speakers is the sound in the MP3 player and it has the added advantage that you can download your whistles off the net, legally available sounds that is, so I put just 2 at this stage and the system works well and takes up half the space. I will forward photos if anyone is interested.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 11:53:39 PM »
I'd certainly be interested in more details and photos please Peter, I've thought about using an MP3 player myself, but wondered about a suitable amplifier as all the units I've seen are only capable of driving small earphones...
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Sean Bryan

Sound generators?
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 12:40:54 PM »
As a youth I feel it is my place to talk about technology of the mp3 player variety. They can be used with speakers. Now a days with Ipods Mp3 players etc people wnat them to become their stereo systems so as such small speakers are on the market I've sdeen them depending on size between AUS$40 and AUS$300. Even my sister has some for her ipod. The just use the same jack as a headphone jack. Most computer speackers are the same. so technically they should work and possibl y run on batteries. Mys sisters does.

Hoped that was of some help. It's a good idea!
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

Offline Peter Webster

Sound generators?
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 10:20:33 PM »
Eddy,
         Here are some photos of the updated sound unit and as usual I have the photos in reverse order. photos No 1 & No 2 show the Mp3 player mounted next to the servo, photo No 6 show the amplifier/speaker box with 9v battery, photo No3 shows the servo mounted in the hull next to the 12v 7ah battery used to power the motor, radio gear and the 2 super smoke generators from Action Electronics, photo No7 is a close up of the amplifier which I took out of an old pair of multimedia speakers I got for A$5-00 from a local op-shop, no expense was spared with this unit,
photo No5 shows both units together. I have checked out the amplifier and it is very audible from a distance of about 30 feet especially when I play the calliope effect of "If you knew Susie". The next outing I will check out the smoke units and hopefully get some video for you as soon as the weather calms down as we are having temperatures of 35 degrees plus at present along with the inherent thermal effect (ah! those memories of free flight days of yesteryear). If you have any other specific enquiries please don't hesitate
Peter Webster
from sweltering Melbourne
Land of Oz

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 10:59:55 PM »
Thanks for that peter, it looks like a very neat setup - What MP3 player and speakers etc are you using (make/model etc).

Definately something to think of for my next build!

By the way, please PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but I've reduced the size of the images you uploaded - They should still be amply big enough for everyone to view clearly, but don't take up anywhere near the space that the originals did on our website. Sadly we don't have unlimited space, so it's something we need to keep a check on...

I'm looking forward to your smoke units now :-)

Offline Peter Webster

Sound generators?
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 06:09:39 PM »
Hi Eddy,
            Sorry about the size of the photos, I forgot, old age I think, however, I have reduced this lot for you. While I remember the model of the MP3 player is a Panasonic SV-MP21V and the speakers are out of the mutimedia unit and are 1watt, 4 ohm and using the same speakers means they are matched to the amplifier and also you don't have to buy any others, these are more than adequate.
Now for the smoke unit installation the following photos should be self explanatory along with the accompanying comments. Let me know if you need any further info.
Petr Webster(down under and bloody hot in the land of Oz)