Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Sound generators?  (Read 8067 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« on: February 04, 2005, 07:43:08 AM »
I'd like to add a couple of sound generators to my model of the "Suter", a steam engine sound and a whistle. The ones I've seen over here in the UK are (how can I put this politely?) pathetic! And sound like no steam engine or whistle I've ever heard!

Does anyone have any suggestions for GOOD sound generators that will sound right?

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

towboatjoe

sound generators
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 07:54:22 AM »
Here's the company i use. He has ocasionally made special sound chips for River Bill and me. http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 09:05:01 AM »
That looks - or rather sounds! Like exactly what I've been searching for Joe.  Do you know any stockist that has a secure online ordering system though? I'm certainly NOT sending credit card details via email as they suggest!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Sean Bryan

Sound generators?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 09:39:37 AM »
I wanted to put a sound generator in my steamer and thought about making one myself by recording an actual steamer next time I was in Echuca....it may be harder than I thought though
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

towboatjoe

sound
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 10:29:03 AM »
Harbor Models carries RAM products. Maybe you can order through them.
http://harbormodels.com/

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 06:48:06 PM »
Thanks Joe - I've just ordered the sound units from Harbor Models. God knows how long they'll take to get here though, as they only do ground shipping! They'll probably arrive by the time the boat is ready for testing on the water :-)

Regards
Eddy

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 04:25:22 AM »
Well I was wrong! Harbor Models don't just do ground shipping - They sent the two sound modules I ordered via airmail and they were here within 5 days of ordering - Fantastic service!

Regards
Eddy

Offline Peter Webster

Sound generators?
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 08:01:09 PM »
Eddy,
         I know I'm  almost 2 months late for this string , re the sound generators, but the system I am using in the P.S. Capt. Sturt  is made up of an old portable cassette recorder and a pair of computer speakers that I got out of an Opportunity Shop. The speakers have their own built in amplifier that runs of mains power, 240 volts here in Oz, then thru a transformer that steps it down to 9 volts. I just used a 9volt battery for the power supply,pulled the speakers out of their cases. The sounds you want to use can be anything you want to record be it horns, whistles or anything. the unit is switched on and off via an extra servo and microswitch
Peter Webster

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 09:10:31 PM »
Thanks for that Peter.... It's an option I'd thought about using myself, but the thing that put me off it was trying to get hold of good quality recordings of the sounds I wanted.

towboatjoe

Sound generators?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 01:12:14 AM »
I got some recordings of steamboat whistles recorded by the Sons and Daughters of Pioneer Rivermen at a whistle blow in Marietta, Ohio back in the early 60's

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 02:25:30 AM »
That sounds interesting Joe, are they in a format that can be shared via the internet? I'd love to get a copy of them if it's possible?

towboatjoe

Sound generators?
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 05:00:54 AM »
Thry're on a cassette right now. I can record them on the pc in wav format.

Offline mjt60a

Sound generators?
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 07:33:51 AM »
I was wondering if this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30111&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=10&doy=4m4 - would be of use to us, I was considering using one for the whistle in my model...
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 08:17:10 AM »
Quote from: "towboatjoe"
Thry're on a cassette right now. I can record them on the pc in wav format.

WAV format would be great Joe - That way I can download them and put them back onto a cassette...

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Sound generators?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 08:18:25 AM »
Quote from: "mjt60a"
I was wondering if this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=30111&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=10&doy=4m4 - would be of use to us, I was considering using one for the whistle in my model...

That's an interesting unit Mick, not one I'd seen before..... I agree it could be VERY useful for all sorts of stuff in models!