Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Marine Steam Engine "Bogstandards" Forthcoming Build  (Read 465 times)

Offline Knightmove

Marine Steam Engine "Bogstandards" Forthcoming Build
« on: January 01, 2022, 11:36:50 PM »
Good day everyone

I've recently joined the paddle-ducks forum after coming across a collection of posts and sketches by the late John "Bogstandard" Moore. I've recently got my hands on a milling machine and a nice new Warco lathe and have decided to build Bogstandards steam engine.

This engine will be used as a display piece and I decided that I wanted to enlarge the model to twice the size that John had originally built. One of my hobbies is drafting and 3D design using Fusion360 by auto-desk. Please find attached a screenshot of the modeled engine. This engine now measures 240mm x 210mm which is a lovely size for a display piece.

I'll be creating a new set of plans to this enlarged size and if anyone would like copies of these plans I'd be delighted to furnish anyone with a set. the model has been fully simulated in Fusion360 and operates beautifully. It'll take another few weeks to complete the plans but I hope that people can make use of them.

When I begin building this model. i;ll possibly be making videos of it for YouTube.......

I'd love to hear any feedback on this engine and if anyone wants plans let me know....

Martin

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Re: Marine Steam Engine "Bogstandards" Forthcoming Build
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 08:27:17 AM »
Welcome to PD's Martin

You have obviously researched the old archives to find Bogdystandards Fag-o-Cad  paper sketches

As you will read , John apart from a talented Craftsman, was a person of unique personality :shhh and a sense of humour as dry as a parched Australian desert   :ranting

John passed over to the Big Steam Shop in the sky, probably some 3 years ago after loosig his two loved Dogs, Bandit & Vinnie

So whilst you have nominated a x double size, would this now be 20 x 24 -  bore to stroke?, and have the plans been drawn in Metric or Imperial?

I could think of no more fitting courtesy to John, but to post a copy of your take on his engine plans to our archives under the Title of Bogstandard x  2 Engine

Looking forward to your progress here on PD's

Derek

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 08:31:02 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au