Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: 1:25 scale Quarter-wheeler river Drogher  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Re: 1:25 scale Quarter-wheeler river Drogher
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2020, 05:33:22 AM »
Yes I beveled the top edge only to get the effect I was looking for.  They fit tight to each other without a gap between them and are glued to the plywood wall.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 03:39:41 PM »

Single sided bevel. Nice. Will have to note that down. 

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, MB, Canada
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2020, 10:15:59 AM »
I have finished the engine room siding and have started on the removable roof for it.  The building will be fastened down and the roof can be lifted off if needed.

I have also been working on the boiler room and was very surprised to see that I need over five metres of 2mm x 6mm framing material for all the studs and plates.  This simple boat may take me all winter build after all.  Lots of ripping and chopping to do.

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, MB, Canada
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2020, 09:28:35 AM »
I have finished cutting out all my wall studs and plates and ended up with quite a lumber pile.  I printed out the boiler room walls and have started gluing them up.  I should have all four walls framed tomorrow and make a start on the siding.

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, MB, Canada
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2020, 05:02:26 AM »
All the walls have been framed, sheeted with some 1/64 ply and the siding has now been installed.  I dry fitted the walls to the deck just to make sure that I didnít overlook something.  After painting I will install the post braces and corner boards.

It looks like itís time to get serious about staining the deck.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2020, 08:36:32 AM »
 :bravo :bravo :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, MB, Canada
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2020, 12:27:06 AM »
I have been staining deck test pieces but Iím still not satisfied with the colour so Iíve moved on to a different part of the project and am making the boiler.  Iím still working on the sight glass, pressure gauge and plumbing and will get back to the deck staining tomorrow.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »
 :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap :bravo

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, MB, Canada
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2021, 09:58:31 AM »
Thanks Damien

I have finally stained the deck and have applied a coat of shellac to it.  After it dries I will apply a coat or two of varnish.

While waiting for the shellac to completely dry I have started on the ships wheel.  I glued two coffee stir sticks together and am cutting out eight pieces for the octagon to shape the wheel from.  I'm drilling each piece to fit a cocktail stick for the spokes.  I'm building the wheel this way as we can't travel unnecessarily right now because of the Covid restrictions so I have a lot of spare time to fill and I am quite enjoying the detail.

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, MB, Canada
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2021, 10:01:41 AM »
I have put a couple of coats of varnish on the deck and finished the ships wheel.  I will finish off the engine house next.  Iíve bought some 50 grit reddish sandpaper to represent roll roofing for both the engine house and boiler/pilot house.  Roll roofing comes in 1 metre rolls here so I will be cutting my sheets into 40mm strips and gluing them on.

My captain/pilot isnít really an arms dealer, I had to cut his arm off so I can reposition it to rest on the wheel better.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:04:47 AM by Steven S »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 02:40:28 AM »
Very fine and well-reasoned build, Steven. I don`t wont to occupy your blog, but in this coherence may be also interesting to have a look of the fine paddler build by a friend of me, Martin Schulte-Schrepping. The model is steam powered with boiler and engine of Wilesco steam roller - the cost of the whole boat were very low.

Thomas

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, MB, Canada
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »
Thanks for visiting Thomas; it gets kind of lonely here.  Thatís a very nicely made paddleboat your friend built.  Iíve added the picture to a folder I call ďNext ProjectĒ on my computer.  Iím trying to keep it down to a manageable size; it contains paddleboats, airplanes and gliders.

Iíve been steadily working on my boat and have most of the main assemblies nearly finished.  Iím going to make a bench for in front of the captain for a couple of passengers to sit on as Iíve added passengers to my company sign that will be mounted onto the Port wall.

My next big job is the rudder, like the Murray River boats have.  It will pivot at the extreme back of the boat and be chain operated.

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 08:02:05 PM »
She's coming along a treat Steven. Lovely work by you.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 04:17:12 AM »
Yes, very fine - I `m very expectant to see her on water. The picture - presumable the prototype of Martins model.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2021, 06:06:47 AM »

That's a nice wheel you built, Steven. Looks great.
And the ship too, of course.

Jurgen