Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Random picture of PS that seems to be moving backwards  (Read 841 times)

Offline John S

Random picture of PS that seems to be moving backwards
« on: August 14, 2020, 06:06:32 AM »
the present photo shows a paddler that seems to have two large hawsers stretching back from the stern and vanishing out of the left side of the photo. Some disturbance can be seen at the stern almost as if the rudder is hard over to starboard side and a faint wake from the bows. Funnel guys seem slack as if the re is no heat rising up the funnel. So is she being towed backwards and the two hawsers being used for both towing and steering? I have seen the photo a few times now but still cannot work out what is happening. Hope I have asked the question in the correct  section of the forum.
John.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: Random picture of PS that seems to be moving backwards
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 08:23:31 AM »
If this is one of the random images from the PD's WEB site Home Page with the scenarion you note, I raised the same question approx 25 years ago......

Eddy Mathews answered that it is a fast flowing tide passing through a relatively narrow mouth that gives the impression of a reversal of directions

It was baffeling for me to comprehend, Eddys comment made sense, it was just that living here on the Eastern seaboard of OZ, I had never see such tidal effect

Derek

[PS...in earlier years I had retained an .jpeg folder of the Home Page paddler images, it was however lost in a computer crash]   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:41:01 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au