Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: A short note to introduce myself  (Read 142 times)

Offline John S

A short note to introduce myself
« on: July 19, 2020, 06:13:35 PM »
Hello all,
I am John, live in Sawtry so not really close to decent water which means a day trip to somewhere like Sherringham for play time. Only a short 200 mile round trip but we like the seaside there and the model boat pond. Present activity varies between a steam steering engine that effectively is a R/C servo, compound diagonal engine 1,1 1/4, by1 1/4 inch stroke cylinders, 5 inch diameter twin furnace Scotch boiler all of which have caused a change in plan. First thoughts were for Medway Queen so set of drawings purchased from the MQ preservation society, various booklets bought including one of building a new riveted hull around 2003 and now being fitted out at Gillingham. All well and good, nice prototype that can be visited however I started having concerns regarding displacement of what would be a rather slender hull so back to earlier downloads of Paddle Tugs. Eventually I settled on Lowgarth or also known as Welsh Rose (do not like the name Strongbow which is based upon Lowgarth it seems). Present position with regard to pensionable purchasing is half finished engine, steam steering engine, boiler parts ready for silver soldering, 6 channel R/C ordered locally and  a start on building a form over which I can plate using copper, brass or steel plates depending where they might be and with regard to water in the bilges causing rust problems. No work today but will carry on cutting frames or forms needed to create the hull form for plating over unless I decide to plate on ribs instead.
I joined a few days ago but delayed posting until I had been through all the pictures in the galleries (especially those on pages around 160) and had read a few posts by other members.
John.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: A short note to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 07:14:55 PM »
Morning John, welcome to Paddleducks...

Not many people take on the challenge of a metal plated hull, certainly not me as my metal working skills are ZERO!

Having said that, I'll certainly look forward to seeing your progress once the build starts!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~