Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DEPV Talisman  (Read 7366 times)

Offline lner

• PS Bunyip as built in 1857
DEPV Talisman
« on: January 25, 2005, 03:03:50 PM »
I am hoping to shortly begin work on a scale model of Talisman.  I was surfing and found one for sale in the USA.  I am uploading a photo to my images section.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding where the information might be obtained for someone about to build their first hull tehy would be most welcome

I have experience modelling (scratch building model locomotives) but not ships.
Martin Blanchard
Adelaide Australia

Offline mjt60a

DEPV Talisman
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 05:48:03 AM »
I know where you can get a diagram, go to modelboats website ( http://www.modelboats.co.uk/ ) click on modelshop, in the menu on the left of the screen, then 'plans', then 'Paddlesteamers' - it's about 5th down the page.
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Walter Snowdon

PS TALISMAN
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 04:41:24 AM »
Model boats magazine ran an article and plan on building a 56 inch model in JUNE 1982. Issue includes reduced size plan and 4 pictures. Full size plan MM1273 is available from model boats plan service.

A much better plan waspublished by MODEL BOATS drawn by Jim Pottinger in January 2000, including a very authoritive build article over the next five issues with bags of diagrams and construction photos. I think this is the best series of articles ever on building a paddler. Article uses the fibreglass hull produced by Metcalfe mouldings.

Also did you know that TALISMAN had a superb history during WW2 as an anti aircraft ship renamed HMS ARISTOCRAT.

Offline lner

DEPV Talisman
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 08:50:23 AM »
Thanks Walter,

I have spoken to metcalfe's about their hull and the biggest issue is getting it sent accross to Australia.

I was aware of Talisman's (or HMS Wasp) war record.  I have a copy of Alan Brown's marvellous book "Talisman - A Solitary Crusader".   It was in a package on LNER railway information I bought on ebay one day.  This was the start of my interest in the railway steamers.

Thanks for the info
Martin Blanchard
Adelaide Australia

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
DEPV Talisman
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 09:07:26 AM »
If your looking at the Talisman hull from Metcalf Mouldings, it may be worth considering the Waverley hull Martin - It's very similar to the Talisman if you don't want a totally accurate model (most people probably couldn't tell the differences anyway!), and the big advantage is that the Waverley hull has the paddleboxes moulded in, so it saves a LOT of work!

It depends on just how accurate you want to be I suppose....

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Walter Snowdon

DEPV Talisman
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »
HHi Martin,  WASP was not the official service name of Talisman, rather a nickname given to her by her crew due to the curius buzz given out by her main electric drive motors.  Curiously the Luftwaffe also nicknamed her WESPE due to the sting in her AA firepower!! Cheers, Walter.

Offline lner

DEPV Talisman
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 10:37:23 AM »
Yeah I know, but it sounds more appropriate than HMS Aristocrat!
Martin Blanchard
Adelaide Australia