Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: New little paddler  (Read 369 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

New little paddler
« on: January 19, 2020, 11:05:22 PM »
Hi friends and neighbors,

one part of my book about steamboat models will be a step by step instruction with text and pictures of building up a steamdriven model. The boat shouldn`t be too difficult, even for not experienced modellers. Now I think, this open Yarrow paddle launch may be the right object.
Scale will be 1 : 12 with a lenght of 113 cm and a breadth of 20 cm. Propulsion will be the Graham TV1A with a homemade boiler. Beginning was yesterday. At end of april I have to finish the manuscript - hope, that the little paddler will be finished with this time...

Thomas

Offline worrior

Re: New little paddler
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:15:01 AM »

hello hank this is a fun project to follow this
this is not my language but try to do it as well as possible
greeting worrior

Offline kno3

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »
This is a nice boat and project. But the Graham tvr1a doesn't seem very suitable, unless you radically modify it to drive the paddlewheels.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 09:03:09 PM »
Really? I use the Graham TV1A in 3 boats, two paddlers and one screw driven steamer. From my sight of view this engine is worth the money and with the hackworth gear rather close to an original steam engine. The only problem for the continental model craftsmen comes, if one screw or nut got lose - this kind of threat is not common here.

Thomas

Offline kno3

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 06:18:49 AM »
I'm not saying it'not reliable, it works very well. Just saying it does not look like a paddlewheeler engine and it would require modification if you wanted it to directly drive the paddle wheels, as done in full size practice.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »
The Graham TV1A can be slighly altered to a diagonal paddle engine like in my Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon". My new little paddler - still without name - saw some progress, next and last work will be the paddles and paddleboxes. Boiler and engine will be installed in the middle of the boat. I hope, this boat will be not too difficult for an unexperienced craftsman. All steps of built will be documented with pictures and description.

Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:54:48 AM »
Looking good Thomas.  :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:32:19 PM »
Again some advance with my boat. I named her "Presto", hope that the name will come true. Now the open hull with rigid paddlewheels (made of plywood) and - boxes is nearly finished. Material for the boiler is at hand and the kit of the Graham Engine also has arrived. I expect, that the boat will be finished in March. For the book I need good pictures of "Presto", probably next month the lakes are free from ice.

Best regards

Thomas