Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 928 times)

Offline OldCanoeist

Introduction
« on: October 25, 2019, 11:47:09 PM »
Hi everyone.
I am a fairly experienced modeller but new to paddle boats, in fact I haven't produced a boat for a few years whilst I've been concentrating on railways. Every thing that I have read recently indicates that stability is a significant factor so I've looked for the plan with beamyist hull which seems to be HMS Forceful. The obvious drawback would appear to be the expense and complexity of 2 independent motors/speed controllers etc. Does anyone know if a single motor concept is a complete waste of time, and should I concentrate my efforts on something like the Totnes Castle. The fact that I live in Cornwall, not too far from the home port of this vessel, ought to be helpful in acquiring info?
I'm sure this is only the first of many queries that will crop up so I hope members will bear with me.
Ian

Offline jelley_baby

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 01:55:04 AM »
I suppose there are arguments for both, I have a Lulonga Congo paddle steamer with two independent paddles at the rear, and as a result it is steered using just the paddles no rudder hence no rudders servo. I also have a traditional paddle steamer which uses one motor and is steered using a rudder. I think there may be some photos of them on here but finding them might be a problem. I hope you find a suitable model to build will keep a look out for your progress. Graham

Offline Paddlemex

Re: Introduction
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 02:42:52 AM »

A single motor concept should work in any case. Most steam powered models are single motor. For security you may want to enlarge the rudder a bit.
It also depends on how of a scale freak you are.

On the other hand, looking at the overall cost of such a model, a second motor and ESC should not burst your budget.

Jurgen