Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Plans.  (Read 1021 times)

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Plans.
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
In the midst of buying 2 sets of plans for my next models.
From Vic Aust top notch seller Float a boat

P.S. 'Enterprise'
Small paddle steamer built at Echuca on the Murray River by W.L.Kier in 1878. Her appearance has changed
over the years and we have drawn her as she has been restored by the National Museum of Australia. She has
left the Murray and is now on Lake Burley Griffin at Canberra, Australia's capital.
Scale - 1:24 Model length - 797mm
Two sheet detailed set $55.00
Plan No. SP-308A Lines & Elevations
             SP-308B Deck Plans.

and

P.S. ‘Etona’
Built in 1898 at Milang as a Mission boat for the Church of England and fitted out as a floating chapel.
Has been restored and is now privately owned and based at Echuca.
Scale - 1:24 Model length - 802mm
Two sheet detailed set $40.00
Plan No. SP-301A Lines & Elevations
SP-301B Deck Plans

If you wish to view their plans https://www.floataboat.com.au/FABPlansCat.pdf
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:43:07 PM by DamienG »

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Re: Plans.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:04:14 PM »
Damien.....

You will be more than pleased with the quality of Float a Boat plan sets  :no1b....these are all hand drawn by Adrian Brewer

I have the FaB twin sets for both PS Adelaide and PS Oscar W

These provide an excellent an level of building detail

You can literally lay your scale timbers on top of the plans & see the view  :whistle

Derek
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:09:38 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:30:18 PM »
Yes I know Adrian & Rhonda well visited the shop often while living in Melbourne even now buy glue & dope from them as needed.

Offline neil howard-pritchard

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:42:30 PM »
hi Damien...……...I am having problems with RCMB...…………..have tried sending you a couple of messages on it this morning and also posting on your post about the paddler plans...………..but the screen just goes blank and nothing goes through, and then the messages or posts are cancelled when I press refresh...……….think the site might be having a wobbler. I don't have Aron's email address to tell him of such...……….

however my message was about a set of plans I have seen on the float a boat site...……...the 45' Watson class lifeboat that the real boat is in a museum over in your country...……..do you have paypal facilities...…...if you do would you be adverse to me sending you the money for the plans and postage for that lifeboat via paypal, and order them for me to be sent directly to me when you order the plans for your new paddler ……..if so, i'll message you on here for your email address to pay, and also my address to send them to...…...if ok with you...…………..in the mean time could you inform Aron via email about his site please. cheers. neil.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
but it only seems to be on your posts, as I have just posted a reply on another thread.

Offline Barry

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:36:00 PM »
Watch the weight with both these models. They can be very tender. I've seen both of them completed but they needed extra draught to give some stability.

My late Dad built a model of the Watson class life boat, called the Queenscliff, from the FaB plans and lots of visits to the real thing. It's on display at a restaurant in Queenscliff.
https://www.queenscliffemaritimemuseum.com.au/lifeboat-queenscliffe

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 10:52:44 PM »
How much extra draught would you suggest Barry? 20-30mm perhaps?

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 02:58:34 AM »
hi Damien...……...I am having problems with RCMB...…………..have tried sending you a couple of messages on it this morning and also posting on your post about the paddler plans...………..but the screen just goes blank and nothing goes through, and then the messages or posts are cancelled when I press refresh...……….think the site might be having a wobbler. I don't have Aron's email address to tell him of such...……….

however my message was about a set of plans I have seen on the float a boat site...……...the 45' Watson class lifeboat that the real boat is in a museum over in your country...……..do you have paypal facilities...…...if you do would you be adverse to me sending you the money for the plans and postage for that lifeboat via paypal, and order them for me to be sent directly to me when you order the plans for your new paddler ……..if so, i'll message you on here for your email address to pay, and also my address to send them to...…...if ok with you...…………..in the mean time could you inform Aron via email about his site please. cheers. neil.

Not sure if these are of any use Neil?

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 08:14:53 AM »
May be a little confused here, the Queenscliff is the Queenscliff...single aft cabin, single steer, however she appears to differ from twin cabin, twin steer Watson in the [latter] Drawings  :shhh

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Barry

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »
Float a Boat describe the life boat as

Motor Lifeboat "Queenscliffe"
Designed by English designer George Watson in 1924 and built in Adelaide, South Australia for service at Port
Phillip Heads in Victoria. She attended many rescues until withdrawn from service in 1976.
The vessel is preserved at the Queenscliff Maritime Museum.
Scale - 1:12 Model length - 1143mm

Museums Victoria describe it as "The Queenscliff Lifeboat - 14 metre Watson type cabin motor lifeboat powered by a 72 hp Gardener engine"

Wreak and rescue by Jack Loney says  "Built by A. Mcfarlane & sons of Adelaide from plans submitted by the RNLI"

Lifeboats for Victoria by Martin A. Syme says " The Victorian boat replicated the 'Watson' class lifeboat of the RNLI, altough there is no record of the institution forwarding plans of the boat."

George Watson designed several different 'Watson' class boats between 1908 and 1963 there were different sizes and no doubt different lay outs. The basic hull design stayed the same..

Should this be on a different thread?

The Etona had an extra 25 mm draught and I'm pretty sure the Enterprise was the same.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:54:50 PM by Barry »

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 10:35:27 PM »
Thanks Barry.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 03:09:03 AM »
Watch the weight with both these models. They can be very tender. I've seen both of them completed but they needed extra draught to give some stability.

My late Dad built a model of the Watson class life boat, called the Queenscliff, from the FaB plans and lots of visits to the real thing. It's on display at a restaurant in Queenscliff.
https://www.queenscliffemaritimemuseum.com.au/lifeboat-queenscliffe

beautiful model, Barry...…….yes that is the one I wish to build...….can't see anywhere on FLOAT A BOAT though where I can pay on line.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
I've emailed them Neil asking about electronic payment they're not open today should get a reply tomorrow.

Damien.

Offline Barry

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 09:44:04 PM »
Dad was a very good model builder. Quite a few of his models are in museums. I’m pretty sure that there’s some photos of the life boat build about. If they’re of interest to you I can dig them out and put them on the forum. The real boats half an hour drive away I know he visited it a few times to check details, was even allowed on board once to check out the ‘bridge’.
Float a Boat don’t do on line selling, yet. They will take credit cards etc over the phone. They may take money other ways may be email Rhonda or Adrian info@floataboat.com.au
tel:0398792227
fax: 0398783647

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 10:33:37 AM »
My plans arrived this morning very nice.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)