Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Beskydy sternpaddler  (Read 570 times)

Online Paddlemex

Beskydy sternpaddler
« on: April 06, 2019, 03:43:55 AM »

I found this video of the rescue of a stalled cargo ship on the Elbe river in Dresden, Germany.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtiNuiZ5_8w
The interesting part is that the helping tug is a modern looking sternwheeler. The first time she appears at 2:50 and then several more times.

I googeled the name of the tug Beskydy and found some intersting information: Built in 1956 (I wasn't aware they built paddelers way into the '50s) in Chech Republic as part of a 12 ship lot. Three are said to be still existing, but I couldn't find any info on the other two.
Powered by a 550hp Skoda diesel. I found contradictory info on the number of cylinders; some say 6 others say 8.
The tug now is a museum ship available for rental and occasionally pulls cargo ships.

Looking further I found 2 videos of the working Breskydy.
Enjoy the sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayf127G1Wr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLL7wBHpVng
Sounds more like a 6 cylinder to me.

Jurgen

Online Paddlemex

Re: Beskydy sternpaddler
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 07:47:33 AM »

If you look for Beskydy tug there are lots of videos on YT. I was surprised to find that many.
Here are 2 nice ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NquUB8ytZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kTlagU-zI

In the first one there are some views of the interior and the engine … and yes, it's a 6.

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 08:04:11 AM »
An interesting vessel. Until end of 1920-tis this kind of sternwheeler were build with steam engines. Similar of the diesel engine the steam engine was installed forward and with very long  pitmans inside the boat the rear paddles were driven. Unfortunalely no steam driven rear paddler in Europa is preserved.
The Hungarian Obuda shipyard until 1960 build two types of real steam driven sidewheel paddlers in great serials: The 732 class sidewheel tug and the 737 sidewheel passenger steamer of a lenght of 71 meters for use on Russian rivers. From the last types are a few protected, last 2 paddlers of this type operates until 2008 on river Lena.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
May be one of this boats is again operating.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »
Folks.......

One of the interesting design points of the Beskydy is her stern anchor

With the length of her long blade rudder, the Designers needed to have an anchor that hopefully would not foul the rudder blade

So from this the anchor deployment hawser was made on the Starboard side........this name as we know was indeed the opposite side to which vessels tied up to.....and naturally being the port or unloading structure on of the river or sea shore and following termed as Port

So even from this, it appears that this Beskydy was also designed to have the preference to tieup Port to Port

I have not seen such an example since days of earlier sail ships

Derek
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:32:39 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 10:56:19 AM »
Very precise watched, dear Derek!

Regards Thomas

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
Whilst there is no water flow evidence by the loaded hull, from the turning circle or rate of turn, it would suggest this Beskydy may have at least one cross mounted thruster

There is also a delay by the Skipper  :nono ...in turning the rudder [at 0:26 minutes to 0:49 minutes] to Stdb when reversing the paddle wheels to astern when completing this turn to Port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGlWmE9wrk

I suppose the other possibility is a bow rudder to allow such a turn.......the only point against this is twin rudders are usually fixed as opposed & balanced....the rate of turn would suggest the vessel did near turn in  it's own length  :clap

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:49:40 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 04:48:56 PM »
I have been watching as many on line Video detail as I can find on this vessel Beskydy however am none the wiser  :thinking

1. There is no evidence of a bow rudder, independent wheel  direction or an athwart hull thruster for the vessel to make a 180 degree turn

The only conclusion is the near 1/2 hull width, long rudder blade, when placed hard over in either direction creates steerage of the chosen direction, but effectively stopping and forcing the displaced water from the closeby paddle wheel backwards\

Initally I thought she was pivoting from the bow or amidships, however the more I watch the hard turn to Port,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGlWmE9wrk

......the vessel is effectively pivoting around the axjs of the Port paddle wheel brake effect on the Port side water [still driven as ahead] being forced out and under the port side end of the vessel in all opposite directions

The other question is "what work does she do" on the European rivers systems?

2. She appears to have some extensive midships deck hauling equipment.........she also has a number of athwart ship deck mid & aft anti fouling hawser towing bars [the ones that stop a towing rope fouling on any deck housing or equipment

There is also another Video of what appears of her main engine start up from cold & astern drive?.........noises for the first 20  seconds would not impress the Chief Engineer  :crash :41 ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axBLQRJRupQ     

3. She also has what appears to be a considerable cooling water discharge stdb side fwd under the mid fwd deck accommodation block....the only thought is fwd mounted generator set/s? 

So if any member can  shed any comment on this would be interesting and appreciated

Derek 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 05:15:04 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »
"Beskydy" sounds like my old Hanomag Truck - awful noisy compared with a steam driven vessel. But back to the art of funktions: Yes, as far I know there is no bow thruster, even indepent wheel direction would give little effect at a sternwheeler. But the long rudder directly is installed after the wheels, as one can see, waterstreaming is very strong and consequently the grade of effect of the rudder position. I also suppose, that she was pivoting from the bow or may be further midships. Propulsion is dieselhydraulic not -elektric.

Thomas

Online Paddlemex

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 01:43:52 AM »

The turning is indeed amazing. As Derek says there is no evidence, not even in the slipway video, of any thruster in the hull. It seems that just the slight reverse paddeling and then again full power forward does the job. The skipper seems to know what he is doing. The guy standing at stern seems to give some signals to the skipper. Distance to the shore??

Thomas: I found that the propulsion is mechanical by a 40 m long driveshaft from the front engine to a crown and bevel gear at the paddle shaft. The crown gear is said to be 2m in diameter (in German: https://www.saechsische.de/historischer-schlepper-legt-an-3505263.html ). But then again this is the article that mentions the 8 cyl. engine, so who knows if it is correct.

Jurgen

Thomas: you have a Hanomag truck?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 07:10:57 AM »
Hi Jurgen,

I had a Hanomag AL 28 Truck from 1986 until 2003. Together with my artist companian Waltraud we made several journeys throught Africa and western Asia. See my old postings about exploration steamer "Welf", today I add 2 posts. In 1990 - 1991 we tried to find the wreck of Baron Deckens Steamboat in the Somalian Juba river. But meanwhile the overthrow in Somalia was happened and it wasn´t still possible to visit the land. We never reached the place of Decken`s shipwrecking. But then we  travelled throught the whole continent... awesome times in every case!

Thomas

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 07:33:56 AM »
From the 'Zadnokolesový remorkér Beskydy Youtube clip.....

The engine valve gear threw we as I count maybe 12 valve rods?  :a102 .....so just to make sure, and clearly yes 6 high pressure fuel pipes .....one to each cylinder....the Skoda is a 6 cylinder diesel

Large rudders have always interested me as early Australian river paddlers were built with "Barn Door" wide rudders capable of swinging 90 degrees to each side 

Derek
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:24:14 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au