Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Strongbow type tug  (Read 8168 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: Strongbow type tug
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2019, 07:11:59 AM »
Thank you, Jurgen. The "Strongbow" correspondents in every detail with the british tug paddlers. In this coherence it seems not very important, whether she is a historic or a fictional construction, but she is a technical interesting one. You now will not need too much time until finishing an excellent made functional model.

Online DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »
 :beer :clap :beer :clap

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »

Thanks Damien.

Slow, slow, slow progress and some disasters to report here.
I made the stern grating, painted the funnel and spilled some paint.

The stern grating work went without mayor difficulties and looks OK to me.

Small disaster: During the painting of the funnel some of the blue paint did not pass the masking-tape-test when I had masked that part for painting the black top and lower cone.
I tried to mask off the cone to repaint just the blue part but that turned out to be very complicated and I could not get a straight line. So I opted to raise the black part and paint the damaged part black.
I am happy with the outcome.

Big disaster: When prepping the wheels with my precious zinc-chromate primer I managed to tip over the paint can and spill most of the paint.  :c002 It is precious because I use very little and was able to purchase a 1/4 liter can a few years ago - still was 3/4 full. Now no one sells any broken quantities any more and I will have to buy 1 liter. At the speed I am using this primer that will last for over 100 years.
Anyway see the pictures.
Fortunately no feathering paddlewheels were harmed in this incident.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2019, 04:53:46 AM »

Some small details added.
Companionways and skylights front and stern.
Still need to cut the window frames.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2019, 04:15:29 AM »
I have been held up by weather. I want to give the hull a coat of satin clear but when I am in the office the sun is out and it's warm, but when at home it gets cloudy, windy and rains.

For some time I have been thinking how to make the cowl vents. I had been looking for hollow brass spheres, but couldn't find any. Then I thought of plastic or acrylic. I found some acrylic semi-spheres, but they were solid.
I cut a ping-pong ball in half, but it was too flimsy.
Then yesterday my wife found the solution. Hollow and 40mm in diameter. Picture attached.
Will cut one in half and see what it looks like.

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2019, 12:58:33 AM »
This may be a good idea, Jurgen. Another possibility may be measure spoons like this.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »

The measuring spoons would have been a good alternative, Thomas. Didn't think of them.

Anyway the christmas baubles split quite easy since they were made in halves and then glued together. A little gentle force applied with an Xacto and the split cleanly.
I made the cylindrical part from a 1/2" PVC pipe (O.D. 16mm) and the resulting cowl vent looks quite good.
I still don't like the surrounding lip. I used the isolation of a cable, but it looks uneven and is too thick. This still needs some improvement.

Also made the windows of the skylights. Looking at the picture I see that the roof is not centered. But, no problem, it's not glued yet.

Jurgen

Online DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Great job well done.   :clap :bravo :clap

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2019, 03:28:41 AM »
Looks really good, Jurgen!

Offline Mike

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2019, 04:26:30 AM »

A good idea Jurgen. :clap

It is all coming along well.

Mike

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2019, 04:45:52 AM »

Thanks to all for the applause.
It's been some time, but I have not been totally idle.

Finally I was able to give the hull a coat of semi-mate clear. It went well on the hull, but not so good on the paddle boxes. The paddle boxes ended up all covered with lint - embedded in the finish coat. Sorry, no pics. Don't know how that happened. I painted the hull and the paddle boxes the same time on the same desk.
I always clean the parts to be painted with a rag with some alcohol. My theory is that maybe some static was created when cleaning the parts. I had cleaned the hull the day before but cleaned the paddle boxes just before painting. The static on the hull may have disappeared in that time, but remained on the paddle boxes.
Anyway, now I'm back to be Mr. Sand-a-lot.

Have started the handrails. I did not like the idea of just bending the ends towards the wall, I wanted something different. Coincidence brought one of my wife's little hobby material boxes to my eyes and there were all the hand-rail ends I could imagine. They are glass with a 0.8 mm center bore.

Also finished the cowl vents. I had complained they did look kind of irregular. Well, they were irregular. Some sanding on a flat surface and now they look OK. Still have to glue the lip and align the ends of the lip.

Jurgen