Forum > Construction

Strongbow type tug

(1/30) > >>

Paddlemex:

Hi everyone,

After years of planning and on and off from this project I finally started building. Several years ago I found a set of pictures of a building report from the German Modell Werft which included a set of drawings. The drawings could be exported as pdf files to my drawing program where I scaled them to size. It was a lot of work because each drawing was posted in 4 parts and there are a total of 11 drawings making for 44 sheets and each one was slightly different in size. I had to resize every individual part, then join them and then find a common scale for the re-joined  drawings. You can imagine …
Then a long time of sketching on those drawings followed. I am working on those PDFs copying the outlines and then creating the final design.
I want it to be a generic paddler, I will not name it Strongbow. Still doing research on what existed in the Scottish harbors and then find a name.

AS a first in my modeling career I used a laser shop to cut out the pieces of the basic kit. That was done in less than an hour and much more precise than what I could have done. I have a small CNC mill, but it would have taken ages to cut the parts there. Hoever, the mill will still get its share of work when the rest of the model.
Another surprise was the mess of the lasered parts. The burned edges where carbonized (surprise???) and blackened everything they touched. Didn't know what to do, so I soaked a piece of cloth in paint thinner and washed the edges. That worked, but I am not sure if thats how it should be done.

Here the first pictures.
And the first problem: I installed formers 7 and 8 inverted. I highlighted it in the yellow circle. I noted it when applying the first cover strips and it was too late to remove and re-place the formers. Fortunately the width of both formers was the same and the fix was easy: add some material to the low one and sand down the high one.
Last picture is the hull taking shape.






DamienG:
Looking really good.  :bravo :bravo :clap :clap :beer :beer

TailUK:
Quote; "And the first problem: I installed formers 7 and 8 inverted. I highlighted it in the yellow circle. I noted it when applying the first cover strips and it was too late to remove and re-place the formers. Fortunately the width of both formers was the same and the fix was easy: add some material to the low one and sand down the high one.
Last picture is the hull taking shape."

As my old Dad used to say "the man who never made a mistake, never made anything!"  It's looking great!

Hankwilliams:
She is really looking very good and promising. A very similar mistake like in the second picture I made with my paddler. But it also wasn`t too difficult to take some material from the frame and add some to the changed by mistake one.
Would be very interesting, you inform us with pictures of step by step progress like I with my paddler "Mindan".

Thomas

Paddlemex:

Thanks for your encouraging comments.

@TailUK: I absolutely agree, BUT those who don't work don't make mistakes and will be rewarded and promoted. Anyway, I will make more mistakes.

@Hankwilliams: Yes I will. I just don't want to spam this fórum with every glue joint. I will show progress where there is something to see. Today I will have some time and hope to finish the hull.
I am following your Mindan build.

Jurgen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version