Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Visiting Aus  (Read 1253 times)

Offline kiwimodeller

Visiting Aus
« on: June 17, 2018, 07:18:42 PM »
We are looking at visiting Australia later this year and would welcome any suggestions from our Australian friends on the best place to go to experience a paddler cruise. We have been told of 4 to 7 day cruises on the Murray but I just thought I would check and see if members had any other recommendations or suggestions. Also an idea on where to start from (fly to Melbourne, bus or hire car to Bendigo or Euchuca or??) We are allowing ourselves up to a week and then we need to go to Brisbane for the school holidays at the end of September. Any ideas most welcome.  Thanks, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline Barry

Re: Visiting Aus
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:34:46 PM »
Echuca would be the place to go. I don't know of any paddlers at Bendigo. There's two at Ballarat but they only operate spasmodically.
Echuca  have overnight crises on the Emmylou. There's hour long ones, lunch cruses and dinner cruises. A choice of boats to go on. Both the operators have websites with details.
Enjoy.

Offline Barry

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
I should mention Echuca is roughly a three hour drive from Melbourne.
The four to seven night cruises are likely on the Murray Princess at Mannum in South Australia, six or seven hours drive from Melbourne.

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »
Thanks for that Barry, we were trying to sort out whether it was best to fly in to Melbourne or Adelaide. The boat operators seem to offer more in the way of pick ups from Adelaide but there does seem to be some excursions that start from Melbourne on the Murray Princess. Personally I would prefer to go on a smaller boat such as the Emmy Lou from Euchuca but I am being told we might need to do some shopping and art galleries in Melbourne. I guess te boss and the travel agent will sort it out and I will go where I am told! Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:51:06 PM »
:a102..........."but there does seem to be some excursions that start from Melbourne on the Murray Princess"

Sorry.....there are no waterways between Melbourne & the Murray that connect here  .... :picknose.

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:28:47 PM »
Even I could work that out by looking at a map Derek but the tour operators running boats such as Emmy Lou and Murray Princess do offer to have us picked up from our  overnight accommodation in Melbourne or Adelaide. Alternatively we could hire a car and travel from either city to Echuca as that seems to be where most of the action happens. We were just trying to figure out where we see the most boats and other attractions like wineries. It would also be nice to hear members thoughts on which are the most authentic boats etc. Cheers, Ian.

Offline Barry

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
Hi Ian,
A couple of links below that may help you. The Echuca, Mildura paddlers and the Murray Princess are commercially run boats that operate most days. Most of the other boats are run by volunteers and tend to run on weekends, some times only once a month. If time permitted and you went on the Murray Princess, Goolwa and the Oscar W are not too far away.
I like the Echuca boats, but that's just a personal preference. The River is quite different at the three main spots Echuca, Mildura and Mannum. There's plenty of photos on the internet to give you an idea of what's to see.
Which ever ones you go on it'll be a good experience. If you drive from Melbourne to Adelaide they're a couple of different routes with plenty to see on the way, allow a bit of time to enjoy it.
Good luck with it.

Murray paddlers - http://www.murrayriver.com.au/paddleboats/
Echuca - https://www.murrayriverpaddlesteamers.com.au/
Echuca - https://www.portofechuca.org.au/
Mildura - http://www.paddlesteamers.com.au/
Mannum - https://www.murrayprincess.com.au/
Oscar W - http://www.oscar-w.info/

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:48:28 AM »
Sorry Ian.....I was aware of the Adelaide connection to the Murray, but not Melbourne ....& Barry has provided great reading and viewing

"Emmy Lou and Murray Princess do offer to have us picked up from our overnight accommodation in Melbourne"

To me if flying into Melbourne, this would be a great way to go......the individual comparison coach fares from Melbourne to the Murray would whilst be worth considering, the convenience would out weigh any difference...[you may even find a Package Tour costing's to be cheaper than individual bookings etc]

Read & watch the electronic media of both vessels.........having walked onboard [but never travelled] on the Princess....to me, I would choose to travel on the Emmy Lou...it is a little less opulent but so much more authentic...I could watch the engine :kiss1 all day

You will enjoy your trips & holiday.........

Derek

PS...I did have an acquaintance from UK, that thought he could board a Paddler at Circular Quay in Sydney & then paddle to the Murray  :a102
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 07:03:12 PM »
Thanks Barry for the links and Derek for the advice. It sees we are getting the trip firmed up with the idea being to fly to Melbourne, train to Echuca and a day of sight seeing followed by two or three nights on the Emmy Lou. Hopefully there will also be time for a visit to Float a Boat. Cheers, Ian.

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 07:15:33 PM »
Looks like it is all sorted - fly in to Melbourne, train to Echuca  for two or three days sightseeing and a side trip to Bendigo before we have a couple of nights cruising on the Emmy Lou. Hopefully enough time in Melbourne on the way back to drop in to Float A Boat and Miniature Steam. Then off to Brisbane for a week to catch up with family and friends. Any other suggestions  of things we need to see and do most welcome, we are bound to find the museums and art galleries but it is always nice to find a few different attractions. Just need to arrange two weeks of good weather for late Sept. Cheers, Ian.

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »
I missed the thread.  Is the trip over?
There are two paddleboats (diesel) on Brisbane River.
Summer is lull time for grand adventures.

Roderick

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »
Ticked that one off the bucket list Roderick. Ended up flying to Melbourne (which of course allowed a visit to Float A Boat) and going by train to Echuca. Spent a very enjoyable week there including three nights on the recently refurbished (including en suite showers and toilets) Emmy Lou. Service, side trips, crew members etc were all first class and I would recommend the package to all. Regards, Ian.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »
 :beer :clap :beer :clap :beer