Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ideas for future builds  (Read 12236 times)

Offline Bierjunge

Re: Ideas for future builds
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2020, 05:25:50 AM »
as for diagonal paddles, I think research of this type has confirmed its effectiveness (see the excerpt of articles). As for my model - I would say it is more adroit than if it had direct paddles.It is also partially visible by the shape of the keel wave. As I wrote, the model is powered by two independent motors with a gearbox and is controlled by changing the speed of the left or right engine. Using diagonal paddles, it rotates practically in place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HU1iBjRd4&list=PL7LWozsdJ62yxvE8-CjQWKRz5dFNAvgsR&index=2
But I didn't try the model with straight paddles..
Plus, I quite like the diagonal paddles...
The thrust force (F) of a paddlewheel acts perpendicular to the immersed buckets. With diagonal buckets, the lever arm (r) for turning the boat is much larger. Therefore, steering by differential speed of the wheels is much more effective.

Moritz

Offline Steven S

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2020, 07:00:22 AM »
Yes - I agree and that is the direction I plan to mount the floats onto my wheels.  I have decided to make the hull 910 long and by 280 wide.  It will be 50 mm to the top of the deck so when submerged to the 38 mm waterline the displacement should be 8.25 Kg.  I work in Imperial measurements, but I think my conversions are about right (36" x 11" and 16.6 Lb).

I have started cutting wood for the hull and should be gluing it up in a day or two.  Would there be any interest in me starting a build thread or just wait until it's finished and I'll post the comparison test results here?

Online Paddlemex

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »

Quote from: Steven
Would there be any interest in me starting a build thread ?

That question should not be asked Steven.
Let us participate in your build. The more pictures he better.

Jurgen

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2020, 10:29:42 AM »
I agree please post your build.

Damien G.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
I'm sure everyone would like to see a build thread, no matter how many models you build, you can always learn from the way other people do things!

Plus it's a good way for people that are new to the hobby to see how things are done and then take the plunge themselves....

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline NoNuFink

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2020, 09:18:40 PM »
Hi all. 
I'm a trifle confused.  Firstly I must admit to not having read every word of this thread so I may have missed something.
I read reply 60 and looked at the diagram and it all made good sense.
However I notice that the photos in reply 48 show the diagonal buckets sloping the opposite way.  Surely those buckets in the photos would cause a turning force in opposition to the off centre straight ahead force thus making steering worse? (Hope I explained that right)

I seek enlightenment having not built a paddler(yet).
Cheers

Offline Tomas Krejci

• when the ship .. so only on the hill
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2020, 11:15:31 PM »
Hi,
      I really recommend you read more links. For answer 60, you must imagine the inclination of the blades at the bottom dead center when the blades are in the water. If you are looking for answers 48 when they are at the top, so it seems to have the opposite inclination..
even padlewheelers are beautiful boats ..

Tom
Steam....GO!

Offline NoNuFink

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2020, 01:55:13 AM »
Ok Thanks for that.  My misunderstanding

Offline Tomas Krejci

• when the ship .. so only on the hill
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2020, 02:42:53 AM »
OK, Nothing  happens, I also had trouble understanding everything correctly from the beginning..
Tom
Steam....GO!

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2020, 04:03:30 AM »
I`m considering to make a big 1 : 48 model of blockade runner "Colonel Lamb", steamdriven. 25 years ago I`ve built the "Hope" in same scale, the plans are still in my own. The hulls of both stamers are equal, so it`s no big problem to built one more. But the superstructure of CL is complete different, as you see. May be, it´s possible, to make a good model with the pictures of CL museum models plus the fade deck sketch...

Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »
It will be a beautiful model Thomas I'll look forward to your build.

Damien G.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:25:58 AM by DamienG »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2020, 08:58:39 PM »
Strange little paddler "Eduard" for rivers Weser and Fulda, built 1843. Obviously the old lithography is not very realistic. But I draw a side elevation - this may be more corresponding to the original boat.

Thomas

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2020, 07:23:13 PM »
What is that flag that she is showing please? Its like the US one but a union jack instead of stars. Not Hawaiian though but similar?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2020, 10:44:08 PM »
I don`t know. First I supposed, it could be the flag of Kurhessen (Kassel at river Fulda), but it is complete different. The territory east of river Weser belongs to the Kingdom of Hannover at this time. But also this flag is different. Least but not last the flag of Hannoversch Münden (confluence of river Fulda and Werra to Weser and home port of "Eduard") but it is the same - no similarity. Perhaps it was a private flag of Wüstenfeld brothers, the owners of the boat?

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2020, 07:06:15 PM »
Thanks for that. Yes I too, by default, assumed it was the flag of one of the German states it operated in. I find the flag identity an intriguing issue but know nothing about the flags in question. But I still think it is some kind of blend of US/UK or similar.

I'll report back if I dig up anything.

Looks like a really interesting model to build so I will watch your progress with the usual keen interest that your work always provokes in me.