Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Another hello  (Read 782 times)

Offline Trouper12

Another hello
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:04:34 AM »
I am a new, and rather tentative, Paddleduck. I came across the website at about the same time as an idea for modelling a paddler germinated, and the forum looks a brilliant source of information and wise counsel on relevant matters. I'll outline what I have in mind elsewhere. I've no idea how I'll find the time, and it may be a rather drawn out project.

My relevant background - making model sailing boats through childhood: one detailed model of a German fishing smack (it got better as it progressed, and the rigging was the best bit), which sailed very well: a 16mm/ft 'narrow gauge' live steam garden railway (I'm no engineer and bought the locos, but made everything else - landscaping, track and rolling stock; we moved house and another railway is unlikely): building two (full size) sailing boats from kits, and I sail one of them, a 12ft dinghy, as often as I can: exceedingly ordinary carpentry skills, and no enthusiasm for DIY as such. I love steam engines of all kinds.

The paddle steamer bit comes from growing up on the North Devon coast in the 1950s, with Campbells' steamers plying up and down in all weathers. On a still day you could here the rapid 'chomp-chomp' of the paddles at least five minutes before one of these splendid vessels appeared round a headland, leaving a 30ft-wide wake of white foam behind her. Unforgettable.

That's me. I'll probably ask all sorts of silly questions in due course, which I'm sure will be kindly responded to.

Michael

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Re: Another hello
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »
Welcome Michael, any inquiries just ask we're a friendly bunch and will help if we can.

DamienG