Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Josie Olsen  (Read 8309 times)

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Re: Josie Olsen
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2018, 05:55:26 PM »
 :beer Thanks Robert, all was going well until I sprayed the olive enamel over the grey primer filler over the paddle boxes it obviously reacts with enamel but is OK with acrylic paint I left them to dry and installed the rigging lines on the mast on top of the aft top deck fitting.

Then installed the Funnel.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »
Looks like I'll getaway with the paint on the boxes a light coat seems to have coverd ok
Modify message

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
Wrong again the corners of the curves still showed grey primer after 2 coats hopefully the third will cover it.

That's it for spray cans back to Airbrush where you control the paint to thinner consistency and the pressure of the airbrush..

The Funnel stays anchored.

Bow mast and Anchor davit?

Interesting omission on this plan/model although there's stairs and door into the wheel house there's no stairs or ladders to get up there.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2018, 07:40:21 PM »
Not a lot I can do on the superstructure until the paint hardens on the wheel boxes.
Back to the engine with the 1.6mm pin for the piston to rocker arm loose in the slides there was a tendency to bind so instead of the 4mm square brass tube I'd originally prepared some time ago, and lack of 4mm square solid brass I cut a strip from some 2mm x 90mm Sq plate 4.15mm wide cut to 20mm lengths tinned with solder then joined joined to 2- 4mm x 4mm x 20mm pieces drilled 1.6mm hole counter sunk on back of one and soldered the pin to it then filed them to fit the channel.

A plastic washer to each side will stop the drift on right hand side.

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2018, 07:51:42 PM »
I too had problems with this assembly binding. Mine is made out of plastic components and I struggled to get the geometry precise enough!!!

Story of my life!

I must say Damien your version of this boat looks really good...congratulations!

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
Thanks mate I'll be thrilled when it's finished though.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »
Paddle boxes epoxied in  in place.

A little bit of filler where the connect to the deck I'll spray some ivory paint into a small plastic tub and add some plaster as the filler hopefully after sanding it'll only need one coat to finish them off.

Did some more on the piston slides 5 x 2mm washers hold it nicely and without oil it travels up and down very smoothly the pivot joints held with 2mm threaded rod with a nyloc nut on each end.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:36:55 PM by DamienG »

Offline Spankbucket

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »
The interior view above totally confused me until I looked at your other post pictures and saw the same image again?!

Sins of old age I guess?? lol!!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:38:04 PM by DamienG »

Offline Spankbucket

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2018, 07:37:36 PM »
Now I saw it now I dont!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:38:27 PM by DamienG »

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
lol as you say old age lol

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2018, 10:36:34 PM »
I had made locking discs for the wheel drive to output shafts but after searching for an hour so I butchered another motor to shaft coupler to make another pair of lock rings as shown in the pic.

Both wheel box to deck joint gaps filler with Pollyfiller powder mixed in ivory paint, tomorrow I'll decant some more of the Ivory spray paint to an airbrush bottle and touch up the sanding marks and the few bits of paint removed when I took the small piece of trim tape off each side prior to installing the boxes.

Something else that's gone missing are the 2 drive axles as I was ready for this next pic.

Any ideas on what colour the wheel should be please?

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2018, 12:54:02 AM »
Any ideas on what colour the wheel should be please? .....automotive RED primer......or Rust-oleum Gloss Colonial Red ...[from Bunnings]....

This Rust-oleum is advertised as primer/gloss...[& I am usually sceptical with any advertisement] however I am rather impressed with 2 coats on sanded aluminium sheet  :clap

Derek
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:03:32 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »
Thanks Derek.  :beer :beer

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »
The engine and beam works beautifully nice and smooth, had to make minor change to the motor mounting plate with a bit of lock I'll get a video of it working tomorrow.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »
The motor pulley needs a large size increase I hooked it up to 7.2v nicad pack and count the paddles as they passed a market point I imagine it would slow further if it was in water.
It's a 12v 2000 rpm geared motor I'll play with sizes until it's right.

Something I learned though is the weight of the motor is not enough to maintain good belt to pulley tension a light hand contact on the wheel caused the motor pulley to climb the belt  I'll have to add a spring either tension or compression which ever is easiest to fit unseen.