Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: HMS Volcano  (Read 7630 times)

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Re: HMS Volcano
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
Noted Derek, I have a set of needle files on a strip above my desk but didn't think of them.  :oops :oops :oops :oops

Offline Talisman

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
Hi Damien.

To remove any tarnishing on brass try Ketchup, Brown sauce or similar, soak for a couple of mins and wipe of well.

Not needle files lol use them for the tags from removal from the carrier sheet.
 Brass, especially etched brass that has been in storage the length of time they have been will either tarnish form Sun, chemical or dampness which brings me to the wood ....

Stains on wood .. They have been in storage during autum winter with you ?...

Slightly more difficult. Either it is mold from storage in which case a 400 or more grit sand paper. (not wet and dry used wet!)
Don't try and eradicate the satin just get the wood to a suitable  Finnish.  Then make sure the wood is completely dry! You are going to seal and /or paint them (Soon!) so no big issue unless you have dripped an oil on them.

Regards
Kim

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:49:31 AM by Talisman »

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
Thanks Kim they were stored in the box the arrived in in a 3.6mt x 2.4mt tin shed with a dirt floor for both autumn and winter now in my main shed with concrete floor.
I cleaned the wheels with a brass wire wheel in my dremel.
Not been out for 10 days down with really nasty Virus got me in head and lungs. All part of winter.

Offline Talisman

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2018, 09:09:23 AM »
Thanks Kim they were stored in the box the arrived in in a 3.6mt x 2.4mt tin shed with a dirt floor for both autumn and winter now in my main shed with concrete floor.
I cleaned the wheels with a brass wire wheel in my dremel.
Not been out for 10 days down with really nasty Virus got me in head and lungs. All part of winter.

LoL
Well that will do it but a bit harsh. Don't use that Dremmel or any other power tool cleaning out the holes, it says so in the instructions lol
Personally, i'd have gone for the ketchup far less dramatic.
Also if you haven't sealed the wheels (primer or lacquer) they won't take long to tarnish again !
Regards,
Kim

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »
Can't seal them until I've soldered the 1mm cross wires in place, meanwhile they're in a sealed plastic bag.