Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Rhone paddler "Pilat  (Read 387 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Rhone paddler "Pilat
« on: May 22, 2019, 03:51:58 AM »
For many years my "Pilat" paddler stands as good as unnoticed in the cellar of my mothers house. She was my second life steam model. Now I conclude, to make her functionable again. The model after plan of Bernard Retif is only semi scale. Scale is 1 : 33, but to avoide problems of transport, the model in Mr. Retifs plan got only lenght of 1400 mm, the correct lenght in 1 : 33 would be 1940 mm. At time I made the Pilat in 1989, I`ve extended lenght to 1510 mm for better proportions.

I now made a boiler test - was ok - and an engine overhaul. This oscillating engine was the only complete home made one I `ve made for my boats. The engine got new piston rings, new silver soldered steam tubes and a new paint, yesterday she made a test run outside the model, which was sufficient.

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: Rhone paddler "Pilat
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 03:57:39 AM »
Some pictures of boat and engine.... May be next week I can show some picture running the Pilat on a lake!

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 07:36:20 AM »
Interesting engine & gearing Thomas......

I she about .....2:1........the 2:1 again?  :whistle

Will she now stay with your Fleet at your home?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »

Very nice Thomas. The proportions look fine to me.

Is that a small portable torch tip you use as a burner?

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:32:07 PM »
Hi Derek and Jurgen,
the gear reduction are two times 1 : 3, therefore 1 : 6. Bore is 10 mm with 20 mm stroke. Next week I will make some pictures of the model at the lake, then the boat will go back to mothers home, it`s her ship - she wanted "Pilat" as a present some years ago. From my point of sight, the today boat looks a little simplistic - compared with my later models. The boiler was ok, but I renewed the burner and the gas cartridge, both is made by Rothenberger, the common factory for soldering products in Germany.
In 2017 I got a french book about Rhone steamships with the original plans of the "Pilat" type tugs, I add some pictures. On principle the model plan was not too far from the original, but hull is too short and there is a lack of the parabolic bow section. Last 3 pictures show other interesting Rhone steamers.

I considered, to alter lenght of hull to original size, but work is too much - it`s better to concetrate for making new projects.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 04:02:35 AM »
Some nice pictures of "Pilat"  in her Element I made today.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »
 :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap