Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Some trivia.  (Read 1420 times)

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Some trivia.
« on: November 08, 2016, 07:59:02 PM »
Very good read. Read right until the end.

S.S. WARRIMOO - FASCINATING

Great story!!

The passenger steamer SS Warrimoo was quietly knifing its way through the waters of the mid-Pacific on its way from Vancouver to Australia. The navigator had just finished working out a star fix & brought the master, Captain John Phillips, the result.

The Warrimoo's position was LAT 0 31' N and LON 179 30' W. The date was 31 December 1899. "Know what this means?" First Mate Payton broke in, "We're only a few miles from the intersection of the Equator and the International Date Line."

Captain Phillips was prankish enough to take full advantage of the opportunity for achieving the navigational freak of a lifetime. He called his navigators to the bridge to check & double check the ships position.

He changed course slightly so as to bear directly on his mark. Then he adjusted the engine speed. The calm weather & clear night worked in his favour.

At midnight the SS Warrimoo lay on the Equator at exactly the point where it crossed the International Date Line! The consequences of this bizarre position were many: The forward part (bow) of the ship was in the Southern Hemisphere & the middle of summer. The rear (stern) was in the Northern Hemisphere & in the middle of winter.

The date in the aft part of the ship was 31 December 1899. Forward it was 1 January 1900. This ship was therefore not only in two different days, two different months, two different years, two different seasons but in two different centuries - all at the same time.

Offline Bierjunge

Re: Some trivia.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:50:11 PM »
Nice story.
But you would not have had to hit this spot exactly at midnight:
To have the boat in two different centuries, a time slot of 24 hrs is enough.
In fact, any vessel crossing the date lane within these 24 hrs (as long it was Dec 31st on the east side and Jan 1st of the west side, and I'm sure this was quite a number of vessels) had, for a couple of seconds as long as it took the boat to run its own length, this peculiar state of being in two centuries synchronously.
I can't see what the speed adjustment to hit the line exactly at midnight adds to the story.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Re: Some trivia.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »
I don't know either I just shared what I'd read ;)